[ANN] Ruby 2.0!

Chris Pine

1/23/2005 5:30:00 PM

Big news!

Ruby 2 (a.k.a Ruby Secunda Kathrine Pine) was released January 22, 2005
at 1:51:42 pm (PST) after a few hours of intense, last-minute debugging
and deployment. We've been working on this project for just over 9
months and are quite pleased with the results! (Well, my wife really
did most of the work, though I *did* play a seminal role in the initial
project conception phase.)

<<< THE NAME >>>

Ruby -- named after our favorite language, of course!
Secunda -- our second child (after C), and the second Ruby
(in the roman tradition of numbering your children,
e.g. "Quintus" and "Octavius")
Kathrine -- named after the lead programmer on this project
(a tradition in her ancestral development house)
Pine -- yes, our last name, but also Matz once told me that
"matz" is Japanese for "pine"!

<<< FEATURES >>>

* Powerful audio output (even on those little tweeters)
* Net Wt. 9 pounds (or a little over 20k carats as Dave Thomas notes)
* FIFO digestive queue
* Ruby.length == 20 inches
* UNBEATABLE copy protection
* Dark brown hair
* Just plain FUN! (true to the Ruby lagacy)

<<< KNOWN ISSUES >>>

* FIFO queue occasionally behaves like a LIFO stack
* Ruby.sleep(ALL_NIGHT) seems to resume unexpectedly
* While C (her big brother) sends plenty of messages to Ruby,
Ruby doesn't seem to respond to C calls.

<<< SCREENSHOTS >>>

Screenshots will soon be available here:
http://pine.fm/FamilyPictures/?page=filter&year=2005&a...

Currently, though, we've only put up our pre-release screenshots (and
around 4000 pictures of C).

<<< DOWNLOADS >>>

You wish!

:)

Chris

12 Answers

Florian Gross

Chris Pine wrote:

> Big news!
>
> Ruby 2 (a.k.a Ruby Secunda Kathrine Pine) was released January 22, 2005
> at 1:51:42 pm (PST) after a few hours of intense, last-minute debugging
> and deployment. We've been working on this project for just over 9
> months and are quite pleased with the results! (Well, my wife really
> did most of the work, though I *did* play a seminal role in the initial
> project conception phase.)

Congratulations!

Just for the record: That other guy on those screenshots really has "C"
as his first name? ;)

Tom Rathbone

Had me going for a second.. Congratulations to you both!

Chris Pine

> Congratulations!

Thanks!

> Just for the record: That other guy on those screenshots really has "C"
> as his first name? ;)

Yep. "C Maximus Pine", aka "cmax", aka "little C".

We like themes; sometimes the most creativity (or, in this case, just
the most fun) comes not from total freedom, but from interesting
constraints. There are just too many names to choose from. We needed a
theme, so we decided to name our kids after programming languages.

Yeah, my wife is pretty cool. :)

Chris

Jamis Buck

On 02:58 Mon 24 Jan , Chris Pine wrote:
> >Congratulations!
>
> Thanks!
>

> >Just for the record: That other guy on those screenshots really has "C"
> >as his first name? ;)
>
> Yep. "C Maximus Pine", aka "cmax", aka "little C".
>
> We like themes; sometimes the most creativity (or, in this case, just
> the most fun) comes not from total freedom, but from interesting
> constraints. There are just too many names to choose from. We needed a
> theme, so we decided to name our kids after programming languages.
>
> Yeah, my wife is pretty cool. :)
>
> Chris

Okay, this has to be the coolest thread on this list in a while. :) No
offense to other posters, of course.

Thanks for the announcement, Chris. My wife and I (both a bit more
conservative than you in the naming department, apparently) enjoyed it
immensely.

--
Jamis Buck
jamis_buck@byu.edu

cyberco

HHH!
Congratulations with your newborn (and a brilliant post)!
Cheers,
CyBerco

gabriele renzi

Chris Pine ha scritto:
> Big news!
>
> Ruby 2 (a.k.a Ruby Secunda Kathrine Pine) was released January 22, 2005
> at 1:51:42 pm (PST) after a few hours of intense, last-minute debugging
> and deployment. We've been working on this project for just over 9
> months and are quite pleased with the results! (Well, my wife really
> did most of the work, though I *did* play a seminal role in the initial
> project conception phase.)

congratulazioni!

And definitely, the best announce of the year :)

Antonio Cangiano

Congratulations to both of you!
The post was really neat and funny... thank goodness you don't program
in PYTHON! ;-)

Cheers,
Antonio
--
My programming blog: http://www.antonioca...

Lyle Johnson

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 02:29:57 +0900, Chris Pine <cpine@hellotree.com> wrote:

> My wife really did most of the work, though I *did* play a seminal role in the initial
> project conception phase.

Congratulations on this wonderful addition to your family! I'd also
like to congratulate you on the clever play on words concerning your
"role" in the conception. Unless that pun was unintentional, then
never mind. ;)

Martin DeMello

Chris Pine <cpine@hellotree.com> wrote:
> Big news!
>
> Ruby 2 (a.k.a Ruby Secunda Kathrine Pine) was released January 22, 2005
> at 1:51:42 pm (PST) after a few hours of intense, last-minute debugging
> and deployment. We've been working on this project for just over 9
> months and are quite pleased with the results! (Well, my wife really
> did most of the work, though I *did* play a seminal role in the initial
> project conception phase.)

Congratulations! Note that child processes, once spawned, are
notoriously difficult to control :))

martin

Premshree Pillai

Heh, I was about to check for downloads. :)

Congratulations to the two of y'all!

--
Premshree Pillai
http://www.livejournal.com/...