Re: [Rails] ONLamp article on Rails

Curt Hibbs

1/21/2005 4:37:00 AM

Marcel Molina Jr. wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 07:22:28PM -0800, john arbour wrote:
> > Thanks for the link - what an excellent tutorial -
> > showed all the good point of Rails - and there will be
> > a part 2!
> >
> > > Curt Hibbs wrote a an article on rails. It's over at
> > > onlamp.com:
> > >

> > http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2005/01/20/...
>
> It's a little bit out of date but it only takes about a day for that to
> happen :) Very cool regardless. Glad there is a #2 coming up.

Thanks for the kind words!

Please tell me what is out of date. If you're talking about the fact that I
didn't use the helper functions for select/option tags, I did that on
purpose. For anything else, I'd really like to know about it.

Also, I like to get this article slash-dotted. Anyone know how to do that?

Thanks,
Curt

22 Answers

luc

Curt Hibbs wrote:

> Also, I like to get this article slash-dotted. Anyone know how to do that?

I submitted an article to slashdot with the first paragraph of YOUR
article and a link to the URL. It's pending now... let's wait...

luc

Curt Hibbs

Luc Dubois wrote:

> Curt Hibbs wrote:
> >
> > Also, I like to get this article slash-dotted. Anyone know how
> to do that?
> >

> I submitted an article to slashdot with the first paragraph of YOUR
> article and a link to the URL. It's pending now... let's wait...

Thanks!

Curt

Aquila

Curt Hibbs wrote:

> Also, I like to get this article slash-dotted. Anyone know how to do that?

Submit it to slashdot yourself, article authors have more authority...
--
"May the source be with you"

luc

Aquila wrote:
> Curt Hibbs wrote:
>

>>Also, I like to get this article slash-dotted. Anyone know how to do that?
>

> Submit it to slashdot yourself, article authors have more authority...

I think that is a really good suggestion. It's easy to get an account on
/. and submit an article. I checked the faq and nothing is stopping you
from submitting this again (and most probably better). There is no
penalty or any such thing, on the contrary they even explicitely mention
that multiple submission could be the reason why the submission of 1
particular submitter is not published...
Curt, I would go for it if I were you.

luc

Ah, it didn't take long for this beginner to get stuck ;-)

I got as far as creating the recipe_controller.rb and when I opened my
browser to "http://127.0.0.1:3000/recipe... I got the message
"#42000Unknown database 'rails_development'"

My database.yml is exactly as described in the article (i.e. the 3
databases are called "cookbook"), I'm not aware of skipping any of the
steps, after triple-checking the whole sequence. I can't even find a
file which contains in its contents 'rails_development' in the whole
cookbook directory structure.

Googling for this error string didn't turn anything up either.

Any hints anybody? Can I put the framework trace here? Would that help
anybody to gently give me a push in the right direction?

luc

Curt Hibbs

Luc Dubois wrote:

> Ah, it didn't take long for this beginner to get stuck ;-)
>
> I got as far as creating the recipe_controller.rb and when I opened my
> browser to "http://127.0.0.1:3000/recipe... I got the message
> "#42000Unknown database 'rails_development'"
>
> My database.yml is exactly as described in the article (i.e. the 3
> databases are called "cookbook"), I'm not aware of skipping any of the
> steps, after triple-checking the whole sequence. I can't even find a
> file which contains in its contents 'rails_development' in the whole
> cookbook directory structure.

The database.yml file originally used "rails_development" as the db name
before you changed it to cookbook, but it sounds like rails isn't seeing
your change. Are your sure your saved the changes? If so, maybe something
has been cached. Try restarting your web server (or machine).

Curt

Curt Hibbs

Luc Dubois wrote:

> Aquila wrote:
> > Curt Hibbs wrote:
> >

> >>Also, I like to get this article slash-dotted. Anyone know how
> to do that?
> >

> > Submit it to slashdot yourself, article authors have more authority...
>
> I think that is a really good suggestion. It's easy to get an account on
> /. and submit an article. I checked the faq and nothing is stopping you
> from submitting this again (and most probably better). There is no
> penalty or any such thing, on the contrary they even explicitely mention
> that multiple submission could be the reason why the submission of 1
> particular submitter is not published...
> Curt, I would go for it if I were you.

Ok, I'll give it a shot.

Curt

luc

Curt Hibbs wrote:
> Luc Dubois wrote:
>
>>Ah, it didn't take long for this beginner to get stuck ;-)
>>
>>I got as far as creating the recipe_controller.rb and when I opened my
>>browser to "http://127.0.0.1:3000/recipe... I got the message
>>"#42000Unknown database 'rails_development'"
>>
>>My database.yml is exactly as described in the article (i.e. the 3
>>databases are called "cookbook"), I'm not aware of skipping any of the
>>steps, after triple-checking the whole sequence. I can't even find a
>>file which contains in its contents 'rails_development' in the whole
>>cookbook directory structure.
>
> The database.yml file originally used "rails_development" as the db name
> before you changed it to cookbook, but it sounds like rails isn't seeing
> your change. Are your sure your saved the changes? If so, maybe something
> has been cached. Try restarting your web server (or machine).
>
> Curt

Thanks, Curt, restarting the web server did the trick. I should have
thought about that myself, but being a beginner I was *convinced*
that *I* had made a mistake somewhere...

On to the next step, this is going to be a lot of fun, I feel it, you
have a very enthousiastic style of writing, it'll be hard NOT to keep
going...

luc

Curt Hibbs

Luc Dubois [mailto:dubois@kavi.gr]

> On to the next step, this is going to be a lot of fun, I feel it, you
> have a very enthousiastic style of writing, it'll be hard NOT to keep
> going...

Thanks... the probably one of the best compliments I could get!

Curt

Nicholas Van Weerdenburg

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 23:46:04 +0900, Luc Dubois <dubois@kavi.gr> wrote:
> Curt Hibbs wrote:
> > Luc Dubois wrote:
> >
> >>Ah, it didn't take long for this beginner to get stuck ;-)
> >>
> >>I got as far as creating the recipe_controller.rb and when I opened my
> >>browser to "http://127.0.0.1:3000/recipe... I got the message
> >>"#42000Unknown database 'rails_development'"
> >>
> >>My database.yml is exactly as described in the article (i.e. the 3
> >>databases are called "cookbook"), I'm not aware of skipping any of the
> >>steps, after triple-checking the whole sequence. I can't even find a
> >>file which contains in its contents 'rails_development' in the whole
> >>cookbook directory structure.
> >
> > The database.yml file originally used "rails_development" as the db name
> > before you changed it to cookbook, but it sounds like rails isn't seeing
> > your change. Are your sure your saved the changes? If so, maybe something
> > has been cached. Try restarting your web server (or machine).
> >
> > Curt
> >

> Thanks, Curt, restarting the web server did the trick. I should have
> thought about that myself, but being a beginner I was *convinced*
> that *I* had made a mistake somewhere...
>
> On to the next step, this is going to be a lot of fun, I feel it, you
> have a very enthousiastic style of writing, it'll be hard NOT to keep
> going...
>
> luc

I second that. The prose is fantastic- lean, clean, and enthusiastic.

Nick
--
Nicholas Van Weerdenburg