Re: Best ways to accelerate Ruby's popularity

James F. Hranicky

1/20/2005 1:08:00 PM

> 3. last but not least, online docs on Ruby's primary website (not
> 3rd-party websites) that is similar to those provided by PostgreSQL and
> Python. Maybe we can volunteer to create 'official' ruby docs to be
> hosted on ruby's primary website. Preferably using a popular
> documentation format that does not use frames like these:

I know I'm getting into this late, but how about if each module came
with it's own ri documentation, similar to perl's perldoc.

I know being able to do this

ri Socket
ri OpenSSL
ri Net::SSH

would be great.

I think this, coupled with an up-to-date syntax manual would be a
huge boost to Ruby acceptance.

Anyone agree?

| Jim Hranicky, Senior SysAdmin UF/CISE Department |
| E314D CSE Building Phone (352) 392-1499 |
| jfh@cise.ufl.edu http://www.cise.uf... |

James Britt

James F. Hranicky wrote:
>>3. last but not least, online docs on Ruby's primary website (not
>>3rd-party websites) that is similar to those provided by PostgreSQL and
>>Python. Maybe we can volunteer to create 'official' ruby docs to be
>>hosted on ruby's primary website. Preferably using a popular
>>documentation format that does not use frames like these:
>

> I know I'm getting into this late, but how about if each module came
> with it's own ri documentation, similar to perl's perldoc.

Well, they sort of already do, as ri data comes via rdoc'ing the source
code. That's how the std-lib docs were generated.

> I know being able to do this
>
> ri Socket
> ri OpenSSL
> ri Net::SSH

Possible, if you run
rdoc --ri-site
or
rdoc --ri-system
(though I'm unclear on when you would pick one or the other)
on the standard library source.

But I believe there are side-effects on the main ri data files when
standard lib files add to, or modify, core classes, and you run rdoc/ri
on the whole standard lib tree.

> would be great.
>
> I think this, coupled with an up-to-date syntax manual would be a
> huge boost to Ruby acceptance.

Certainly it would be a help if standard ri by default included both the
core classes as well as those in the standard library.

James

Dick Davies

* James F. Hranicky <jfh@cise.ufl.edu> [0108 13:08]:
> > 3. last but not least, online docs on Ruby's primary website (not
> > 3rd-party websites) that is similar to those provided by PostgreSQL and
> > Python. Maybe we can volunteer to create 'official' ruby docs to be
> > hosted on ruby's primary website. Preferably using a popular
> > documentation format that does not use frames like these:
>
> I know I'm getting into this late, but how about if each module came
> with it's own ri documentation, similar to perl's perldoc.
>
> I know being able to do this
>
> ri Socket
> ri OpenSSL
> ri Net::SSH
>
> would be great.
>
> I think this, coupled with an up-to-date syntax manual would be a
> huge boost to Ruby acceptance.
>
> Anyone agree?

Damn right. I really miss this, and since I've started picking up my
ruby coding it's become more of a pain.

I'd also venture that there's less impetus on a developer to document his
code if it's hard to get at the docs - 'write only' data smells like red tape.

doc crew: Is there a reason why it's difficult, or is it just low priority?

--
'Oh how awful. Did he at least die peacefully? ....To shreds you say, tsk tsk tsk.
Well, how's his wife holding up? ....To shreds, you say...'