exerb / native win32 compilers

John Trunek

1/19/2005 9:43:00 PM

I have been trying to make exerb work. I downloaded the windows version of
exerb from http://exerb.sourceforge.jp/ind....

The documentation is extremely poor with the faq seeming more interested in
explaining how to pronounce the name rather than how to make it work.

From what i can see - I have to make a recipe file from my file.rb then import
that using the tool, which will make an executable.

So how do I make a recipe file? I followed the line:
$ ruby -r exerb/mkrbc foo.rb
which which I translated to: ruby -r exerb/mkrbc path/to/ruby/file
and got this error: ruby:No such file to load -- exerb/mkrbc (LoadError)

What am I doing wrong? Are there any other native win32 compilers that are
easier to use?

John
2 Answers

Richard Lyman

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 06:51:01 +0900, John Trunek <jtrunek@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I have been trying to make exerb work. I downloaded the windows version of
> exerb from http://exerb.sourceforge.jp/ind....
>
> The documentation is extremely poor with the faq seeming more interested in
> explaining how to pronounce the name rather than how to make it work.
>
> From what i can see - I have to make a recipe file from my file.rb then import
> that using the tool, which will make an executable.
>
> So how do I make a recipe file? I followed the line:
> $ ruby -r exerb/mkrbc foo.rb
> which which I translated to: ruby -r exerb/mkrbc path/to/ruby/file
> and got this error: ruby:No such file to load -- exerb/mkrbc (LoadError)

I think it's now mkexr, but read on...

> What am I doing wrong? Are there any other native win32 compilers that are
> easier to use?
>
> John

You'll probably want to be very careful with the use of the word
'compiler'. Exerb is _not_ a compiler. It is more of a packager.

To simplify things you might want to get EZExerb. It's an FXRuby
front-end that I wrote a while ago for exerb (I haven't looked at it
in quite a while and I'm not even sure if it still works).

I'd always been frustrated by the lack of documentation with exerb,
but my questions had always been answered either here or on the exerb
mailing list.

I'm not really sure if exerb's even still maintained.

In the end, you probably should start here:

http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?DistributeARubyAppInASingle...

... and you'll probably end up using Tar2RubyScript and RubyScript2Exe.

Erik Veenstra (the maintainer of Tar2RubyScript and RubyScript2Exe) is
very actively developing them, and is apparently quite open to
suggestions/bug reports.

As much as I've loved exerb, I'd probably switch too if I was 'still
in the business'.

-Rich

tony summerfelt

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 06:51:01 +0900, you wrote:

>So how do I make a recipe file? I followed the line:
>$ ruby -r exerb/mkrbc foo.rb
>which which I translated to: ruby -r exerb/mkrbc path/to/ruby/file
>and got this error: ruby:No such file to load -- exerb/mkrbc (LoadError)

that's pretty much where i ended up too...

>What am I doing wrong? Are there any other native win32 compilers that are
>easier to use?

i've been playing around with ruby2exe...i like it so far...
http://home.cogeco.ca/~ts...
telnet://ventedspleen.dyndns.org