RubyGems feature request

Jim Menard

1/19/2005 7:18:00 PM

RubyGems is neato. Thanks to the team for such a wonderful Ruby tool.

Here's my feature request: I want to be able to clean up old versions of
RubyGems. Specifically, I want to be able to delete all old versions (all but
the most highest version on my machine) of all gems, or all old versions of a
specific gem. I know I can use

gem uninstall --version '< 3.0.0' RedCloth

but that assumes that I go to the gems directory, see which versions of
RedCloth are installed, and type the highest version number. I'm thinking of
something like

gem cleanup

or

gem uninstall --all-but-latest

Thanks for listening.

Jim
--
Jim Menard, jimm@io.com, http://www.io...

2 Answers

Jim Weirich

Jim Menard said:
> something like
>
> gem cleanup
>
> or
>
> gem uninstall --all-but-latest

Yep, its on our list too! Thanks for the feedback.

--
-- Jim Weirich jim@weirichhouse.org http://onest...

Mark Hubbart

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 04:17:40 +0900, Jim Menard <jimm@io.com> wrote:
> something like
>
> gem cleanup
>
> or
>
> gem uninstall --all-but-latest

I second that! I really don't need four different versions of
activerecord, actionpack, actionmailer, and rails. Just the latest one
would do me fine :) And save space on my webserver.

cheers,
Mark