microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.sdk

Custom Message Pumps in C#?

Siegfried Heintze

9/20/2002 6:33:00 PM

Now I am curious. When coding in C++ I used MsgWaitForMultipleObjects inside
a custom message pump so I could simultaneously wait for GUI messages and
threads to die and asynchronous I/O to complete (and anything else that
could set an event or semaphore).

How do I write a custom message pump for a GUI C# application?

2 Answers

Tom Carter

I believe you can override the WndProc method to handle messges yourself.

Is this what you are looking for?

"Siegfried Heintze" <siegfried@heintze.com> wrote in message
> Now I am curious. When coding in C++ I used MsgWaitForMultipleObjects
inside
> a custom message pump so I could simultaneously wait for GUI messages and
> threads to die and asynchronous I/O to complete (and anything else that
> could set an event or semaphore).
>
> How do I write a custom message pump for a GUI C# application?

Siegfried Heintze

Not really. I want to call Get_Message and Peek_Message myself. I want to
call them only if a message is waiting as indicated by
MsgWaitForMultipleObjects.

Presently, CLR is calling them for me and blocking whether I like it or not.