microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.setup

"does not contain debugging information. (No symbols loaded.)" - At Home But Not At Work On The Exact Same Project?

Jason Teagle

7/8/2007 10:16:00 AM

I'm not sure which is the correct group to post this to, if either, so
apologies for the crosspost and if it's OT.

I have a Visual Studio.NET 2002-compiled solution that originated at work.
At work, it runs in debug mode just fine, and breakpoints work as expected.
When I take the exact same set of files home and do a full rebuild and try
to run it, it says that the module does not contain debugging information
(no symbols loaded).

This normally happens if, for example, I run a Visual Studio 6-compiled VC
program that uses a VB program as the launch program - it says this about
the VB program and that makes sense. It doesn't make sense here though,
since this is *the* exact same code used at work - the entire source file
set.

The only differences I can think of are:
1) Different install directory for Visual Studio. Both are perfectly
read-writable, though, if that would make any difference.
2) The project uses SourceSafe at work, but I don't have a VPN setup and so
I cannot access the SS DB from home - so I choose to work disconnected, as
prompted when the project loads.

Can anyone point me towards info that might help me resolve this? It's not a
tragedy as there are other ways to get debugging info out, but working
without the ability to set breakpoints and have them function is like
running with both legs tied together... a pain and a challenge {:v)

(I Googled for the message, but got exactly one hit - and it didn't help, it
simply instructed an end user to click OK to continue after the above
warning message.)

--
Jason Teagle
jason@teagster.co.uk

4 Answers

SvenC

> I'm not sure which is the correct group to post this to, if either, so
> apologies for the crosspost and if it's OT.
>
> I have a Visual Studio.NET 2002-compiled solution that originated at
> work. At work, it runs in debug mode just fine, and breakpoints work as
> expected. When I take the exact same set of files home and do a full
> rebuild and try to run it, it says that the module does not contain
> debugging information (no symbols loaded).

Did you make a Debug build? Look at the comboboxes in the toolbars, you
should find "Release" or "Debug" there.

Do you build a dll or exe? In case of a dll you need to choose a debuggee
application which loads and uses your dll.

--
SvenC

Jason Teagle

> Did you make a Debug build? Look at the comboboxes in the toolbars, you
> should find "Release" or "Debug" there.
>
> Do you build a dll or exe? In case of a dll you need to choose a debuggee
> application which loads and uses your dll.

As I mentioned in the OP, it's the exact same files (including project
settings, therefore) as I have at work - and at work it debugs just fine.

(To answer your questions, yes, it is being compiled as Debug, but even
Release lets you set breakpoints anyway, and no, it's not a DLL.)

--
Jason Teagle
jason@teagster.co.uk

Ben Voigt [C++ MVP]

"Jason Teagle" <jason@teagster.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Did you make a Debug build? Look at the comboboxes in the toolbars, you
>> should find "Release" or "Debug" there.
>>
>> Do you build a dll or exe? In case of a dll you need to choose a debuggee
>> application which loads and uses your dll.
>
> As I mentioned in the OP, it's the exact same files (including project
> settings, therefore) as I have at work - and at work it debugs just fine.

Did you bring the .pdb files along?

> (To answer your questions, yes, it is being compiled as Debug, but even
> Release lets you set breakpoints anyway, and no, it's not a DLL.)
>

> --
> Jason Teagle
> jason@teagster.co.uk

Jason Teagle

>> As I mentioned in the OP, it's the exact same files (including project
>> settings, therefore) as I have at work - and at work it debugs just fine.
>
> Did you bring the .pdb files along?

Thank you for your response.

Yes, the .pdb files were brought as well (I brought the output directories
verbatim, although admittedly I tried a full rebuild rather than trying to
run directly from the copied directory image (I never thought of that).
However, since the projects have the same project files as at work, it
should (and since they're still showing in the directories, did) produce new
copies of the .pdb files).

--
Jason Teagle
jason@teagster.co.uk