microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.setup

Installation package crashes in Windows Vista

Lonifasiko

I've got a a VS2005 setup project that generates the
corresponding .MSI., which installs all files of my application
without problems in Windows XP machines. This project contains a
CustomAction that launches a console application which writes some
entries inside some XML files depending on what installation directory
the user has selected. That's the "most strange" thing my setup does.

Well, the reason for opening this thread it's because client has moved
to Windows Vista, and when trying to execute the installation package,
he is having problems. The error is as "descriptible" as always:
"There is a problem with this installer package. A program cannot be
executed and it is needed to finish the installation. Contact
Technical support or package provider for further assistance."

The problem is I don't have any machine running Windows Vista so that
I can try setup locally, so would be nice if somebody running problems
in Windows Vista with setup packages could give me some hints.

Thanks very much in advance.

1 Answer

Phil Wilson

The likely problem is that your code is not running with admin privilege
because of UAC. It doesn't matter whether you're administrator or not
because the custom action code will run with impersonation of the (limited)
administrator installing it. VS setups don't have a way to change this in
the IDE. If you gave them a setup.exe launcher (which will ask for
elevation, then launch the MSI file) it might work. Does your program work
on any OS if not run with admin privilege?

Virtual PC 2007 is free. You don't need hardware to test these kinds of
things, just Vista in a virtual machine on your system.
--
Phil Wilson
[Microsoft MVP-Windows Installer]