Wendy Elizabeth

6/27/2007 5:40:00 PM

I am trying to figure out if I can run sql server 2000/sql server 2005 on my
workstation.
I work for a small company and they bought one version of visual studio
..net 2005
professional version for me.
This company has a couple of production sql server 2000 licenses.

Basically there is no test sql server at this company and I would like to
run sql server on my workstation for development reasons only.
Thus to be able to do this, is having one professional version of visual
studio.net 2005 enough of a license so that I can install a test sql server.
If so, can you show me what part of the license allows me to test sql server
on my workstation only for developement purposes. If not, what kind of a
license is required so that I can work with sql server 2000 or sql server
2005 for testing purposes (development) only?

1 Answer

JerryWEC

Wendy, I'm not a license expert but it's a good question. I'd say you have a
copy of vs2005 pro so you should be able to install the developer sql server
2005 express to do development work. I'd say you have to purchase a copy of
sql server 2005 to get a full blown version on your production server (and
install a copy on developer workstation). We used to install the developer
tools for sql server 2000 and run sql server 2000 databases off our
workstations at my last job. I'm in an oracle db shop now.

If you purchase sql server 2005 full version for production I believe you
can install a copy for development on your machine but check with M$ rep
first or MSDN web site.

JerryM