microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.setup

web setup - get rid of abs. paths?

Sergei Shelukhin

6/18/2007 12:51:00 PM

Hi. I have to package several files in my web.setup project, some of
them should be placed into system32 folder (security key drivers),
some into a separate program files subfolder (CLR SP dlls, xpsmtp dll
for SQL Server), etc.

At the moment, I have added them to setup project via add file,
however, with this arrangement their absolute paths are stored inside
the setup project and I am the only developer on the team who can
actually build the setup.
Is there any way to make paths relative to the setup project folder?

I am contemplating creating separate projects for every file "group"
and adding them there as content, then installing "projectN content
files" into system32, program files etc.

Is there a better way?

3 Answers

Phil Wilson

Sounds like you should be using the standard folder names for the locations
in your setup project. [SystemFolder] for system32, [WindowsFolder] for
Windows, j7ust like [ProgramFilesFolder] maps to the target system's Program
Files folder.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa3...

--
Phil Wilson
[MVP Windows Installer]

"Sergei Shelukhin" <realgeek@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi. I have to package several files in my web.setup project, some of
> them should be placed into system32 folder (security key drivers),
> some into a separate program files subfolder (CLR SP dlls, xpsmtp dll
> for SQL Server), etc.
>
> At the moment, I have added them to setup project via add file,
> however, with this arrangement their absolute paths are stored inside
> the setup project and I am the only developer on the team who can
> actually build the setup.
> Is there any way to make paths relative to the setup project folder?
>
> I am contemplating creating separate projects for every file "group"
> and adding them there as content, then installing "projectN content
> files" into system32, program files etc.
>
> Is there a better way?

Sergei Shelukhin

No, I mean the source folder.
For example my key driver dll sits in z:\projects\Blah blah blah pro
\Blah\blah.dll.
I cannot move it to another drive cause z: is my secure disk letter,
and other developers often have different letters for their secure
disk so even if they created similar paths for their files but drive
letter wouldn't match and it's unreasonable to make everyone change
drive letter losing a lot of automation, program installs and stuff.

I wonder if we could specify ..\blah\blah.dll as the path somehow.

Sergei Shelukhin

On Jun 20, 10:55 am, Sergei Shelukhin <realg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> No, I mean the source folder.
> For example my key driver dll sits in z:\projects\Blah blah blah pro
> \Blah\blah.dll.
> I cannot move it to another drive cause z: is my secure disk letter,
> and other developers often have different letters for their secure
> disk so even if they created similar paths for their files but drive
> letter wouldn't match and it's unreasonable to make everyone change
> drive letter losing a lot of automation, program installs and stuff.
>
> I wonder if we could specify ..\blah\blah.dll as the path somehow.

la la la :(