VB2005 not deploying properly

Tym

6/11/2007 12:42:00 PM

I've googled until I'm blue in the face - nowhere can I find the solution to
this....

Developed my first real app in vb.net 2005. works great on my PC and my
laptop (which also has VB.Net 2005 installed on it)

The app also installs in my friends new Dell laptop

However, on my other PC and another laptop it won't run.

System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'ADODB,

Version=7.0.3300.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one

of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

File name: 'ADODB, Version=7.0.3300.0, Culture=neutral,

PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a'

It's not a versioning issue - the target PC _DOES NOT HAVE_ ADODB on it
ANYWHERE - even though I've installed the DonNetframework.

What am I doing wrong? The app has the references to ADADB in it fine, so
what's wrong with the delpoyment??

I noticed that on the "faulty" PC, there are only two files in the
C:\Program Files\Microsoft.NET\Primary Interop Assemblies directory whereas
on mine there are quite a few including adodb.dll

Tym

14 Answers

Chris Diver

Copy ADODB.DLL to the same directory as the EXE on the machines where it
doesn't work.

Tym wrote:
> I've googled until I'm blue in the face - nowhere can I find the solution to
> this....
>
> Developed my first real app in vb.net 2005. works great on my PC and my
> laptop (which also has VB.Net 2005 installed on it)
>
> The app also installs in my friends new Dell laptop
>
> However, on my other PC and another laptop it won't run.
>
> System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'ADODB,
>
> Version=7.0.3300.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one
>
> of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
>
> File name: 'ADODB, Version=7.0.3300.0, Culture=neutral,
>
> PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a'
>

> It's not a versioning issue - the target PC _DOES NOT HAVE_ ADODB on it
> ANYWHERE - even though I've installed the DonNetframework.
>
> What am I doing wrong? The app has the references to ADADB in it fine, so
> what's wrong with the delpoyment??
>
> I noticed that on the "faulty" PC, there are only two files in the
> C:\Program Files\Microsoft.NET\Primary Interop Assemblies directory whereas
> on mine there are quite a few including adodb.dll
>
> Tym

rowe_newsgroups

On Jun 11, 8:41 am, "Tym" <spamt...@ictis.net> wrote:
> I've googled until I'm blue in the face - nowhere can I find the solution to
> this....
>
> Developed my first real app in vb.net 2005. works great on my PC and my
> laptop (which also has VB.Net 2005 installed on it)
>
> The app also installs in my friends new Dell laptop
>
> However, on my other PC and another laptop it won't run.
>
> System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'ADODB,
>
> Version=7.0.3300.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one
>
> of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
>
> File name: 'ADODB, Version=7.0.3300.0, Culture=neutral,
>
> PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a'
>
> It's not a versioning issue - the target PC _DOES NOT HAVE_ ADODB on it
> ANYWHERE - even though I've installed the DonNetframework.
>
> What am I doing wrong? The app has the references to ADADB in it fine, so
> what's wrong with the delpoyment??
>
> I noticed that on the "faulty" PC, there are only two files in the
> C:\Program Files\Microsoft.NET\Primary Interop Assemblies directory whereas
> on mine there are quite a few including adodb.dll
>
> Tym

ADODB is the "old" version of ADO - and is not packaged with the .Net
framework. Instead you should be using ADO.Net instead, and your
errors should go away.

By the way, I removed the classic VB newgroup from the posting list,
do not post VB.Net questions there.

Thanks,

Seth Rowe

raulavi

pardon for jumping in. but I dont think it will fix it. i have the same
problem in vs2005 C# proj, with crystal reports XI. and I have the same error.
my case is I have one exe plus 2 dlls on same folder, and all the *.RPT
(Crystal reports) in the same folder and still is looking for something else,
"SOMETHING ELSE" is the missing file that everyone is getting for as an
error file not found..

"rowe_newsgroups" wrote:

> On Jun 11, 8:41 am, "Tym" <spamt...@ictis.net> wrote:
> > I've googled until I'm blue in the face - nowhere can I find the solution to
> > this....
> >
> > Developed my first real app in vb.net 2005. works great on my PC and my
> > laptop (which also has VB.Net 2005 installed on it)
> >
> > The app also installs in my friends new Dell laptop
> >
> > However, on my other PC and another laptop it won't run.
> >
> > System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'ADODB,
> >
> > Version=7.0.3300.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one
> >
> > of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
> >
> > File name: 'ADODB, Version=7.0.3300.0, Culture=neutral,
> >
> > PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a'
> >
> > It's not a versioning issue - the target PC _DOES NOT HAVE_ ADODB on it
> > ANYWHERE - even though I've installed the DonNetframework.
> >
> > What am I doing wrong? The app has the references to ADADB in it fine, so
> > what's wrong with the delpoyment??
> >
> > I noticed that on the "faulty" PC, there are only two files in the
> > C:\Program Files\Microsoft.NET\Primary Interop Assemblies directory whereas
> > on mine there are quite a few including adodb.dll
> >
> > Tym
>
> ADODB is the "old" version of ADO - and is not packaged with the .Net
> framework. Instead you should be using ADO.Net instead, and your
> errors should go away.
>
> By the way, I removed the classic VB newgroup from the posting list,
> do not post VB.Net questions there.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Seth Rowe

SvenC

> I've googled until I'm blue in the face - nowhere can I find the
> solution to this....
>
> Developed my first real app in vb.net 2005. works great on my PC and
> my laptop (which also has VB.Net 2005 installed on it)
>
> The app also installs in my friends new Dell laptop
>
> However, on my other PC and another laptop it won't run.
>
> System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly
> 'ADODB,
> Version=7.0.3300.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a'
> or one
> of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

Open Depends.exe from %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Visual Studio
8\Common7\Tools\Bin
From Depends.exe open you executable which does not load. Press F5 and watch
the output messages of Depends.exe. It shows which dlls are loaded and which
fail to load. That should help to identify which dependency is missing.

--
SvenC

rowe_newsgroups

On Jun 12, 2:22 pm, raulavi <raul...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> pardon for jumping in. but I dont think it will fix it. i have the same
> problem in vs2005 C# proj, with crystal reports XI. and I have the same error.
> my case is I have one exe plus 2 dlls on same folder, and all the *.RPT
> (Crystal reports) in the same folder and still is looking for something else,
> "SOMETHING ELSE" is the missing file that everyone is getting for as an
> error file not found..
>

> "rowe_newsgroups" wrote:
> > On Jun 11, 8:41 am, "Tym" <spamt...@ictis.net> wrote:
> > > I've googled until I'm blue in the face - nowhere can I find the solution to
> > > this....
>
> > > Developed my first real app in vb.net 2005. works great on my PC and my
> > > laptop (which also has VB.Net 2005 installed on it)
>
> > > The app also installs in my friends new Dell laptop
>
> > > However, on my other PC and another laptop it won't run.
>
> > > System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'ADODB,
>
> > > Version=7.0.3300.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one
>
> > > of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
>
> > > File name: 'ADODB, Version=7.0.3300.0, Culture=neutral,
>
> > > PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a'
>
> > > It's not a versioning issue - the target PC _DOES NOT HAVE_ ADODB on it
> > > ANYWHERE - even though I've installed the DonNetframework.
>
> > > What am I doing wrong? The app has the references to ADADB in it fine, so
> > > what's wrong with the delpoyment??
>
> > > I noticed that on the "faulty" PC, there are only two files in the
> > > C:\Program Files\Microsoft.NET\Primary Interop Assemblies directory whereas
> > > on mine there are quite a few including adodb.dll
>
> > > Tym
>
> > ADODB is the "old" version of ADO - and is not packaged with the .Net
> > framework. Instead you should be using ADO.Net instead, and your
> > errors should go away.
>
> > By the way, I removed the classic VB newgroup from the posting list,
> > do not post VB.Net questions there.
>
> > Thanks,
>
> > Seth Rowe- Hide quoted text -

> pardon for jumping in. but I dont think it will fix it. i have the same
> problem in vs2005 C# proj, with crystal reports XI. and I have the same error.

You're getting an ADODB not found error with Crystal Reports?

Thanks,

Seth Rowe

raulavi

ahanks SvenC:
how about this, ran dependency walker and got
Warning: At least one module has an unresolved import due to a missing
export function in a delay-load dependent module.
now whats, next,(no much of a hlp), there are two red modules with a sand
clock on the left side: IEFRAME.DLL and SWHLWAPI.DLL are these missing from
the folder. or better how do we proceed any further.
Thanks

"SvenC" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > I've googled until I'm blue in the face - nowhere can I find the
> > solution to this....
> >
> > Developed my first real app in vb.net 2005. works great on my PC and
> > my laptop (which also has VB.Net 2005 installed on it)
> >
> > The app also installs in my friends new Dell laptop
> >
> > However, on my other PC and another laptop it won't run.
> >
> > System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly
> > 'ADODB,
> > Version=7.0.3300.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a'
> > or one
> > of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
>
> Open Depends.exe from %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Visual Studio
> 8\Common7\Tools\Bin
> From Depends.exe open you executable which does not load. Press F5 and watch
> the output messages of Depends.exe. It shows which dlls are loaded and which
> fail to load. That should help to identify which dependency is missing.
>
> --
> SvenC

SvenC

> ahanks SvenC:
> how about this, ran dependency walker and got
> Warning: At least one module has an unresolved import due to a missing
> export function in a delay-load dependent module.
> now whats, next,(no much of a hlp), there are two red modules with a
> sand clock on the left side: IEFRAME.DLL and SWHLWAPI.DLL are these
> missing from the folder. or better how do we proceed any further.

Those should be OK. But you see only directly linked modules here not those
which are dynamically loaded during runtime. So please use Depends
File->Open to open and execute your app. Press F5 and watch which modules
are missing during runtime.

--
SvenC

William \(Bill\) Vaughn

It sure looks like it's trying to find a COM-based ADO (ADODB) DLL. This
would be unusual for a .NET application. Are you making references to ADO
classic classes?

--
____________________________________
William (Bill) Vaughn

"SvenC" <SvenC@community.nospam> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
>> I've googled until I'm blue in the face - nowhere can I find the
>> solution to this....
>>
>> Developed my first real app in vb.net 2005. works great on my PC and
>> my laptop (which also has VB.Net 2005 installed on it)
>>
>> The app also installs in my friends new Dell laptop
>>
>> However, on my other PC and another laptop it won't run.
>>
>> System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly
>> 'ADODB,
>> Version=7.0.3300.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a'
>> or one
>> of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
>
> Open Depends.exe from %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Visual Studio
> 8\Common7\Tools\Bin
> From Depends.exe open you executable which does not load. Press F5 and
> watch the output messages of Depends.exe. It shows which dlls are loaded
> and which fail to load. That should help to identify which dependency is
> missing.
>
> --
> SvenC

raulavi

Thanks william and Svenc:
finally some help...from you guys...thanks
we don't use the old ADO (we use ado.net),but surelly that crystall reports
DO (is a very old COM reporting engine even the las XI version - I beleive.) .
are you aware of crystal reports?
How do we find out if we need adodb.dll? or do we need to linked if we do?

"William (Bill) Vaughn" wrote:

> It sure looks like it's trying to find a COM-based ADO (ADODB) DLL. This
> would be unusual for a .NET application. Are you making references to ADO
> classic classes?
>
> --
> ____________________________________
> William (Bill) Vaughn
> Author, Mentor, Consultant
> Microsoft MVP
> INETA Speaker
> www.betav.com/blog/billva
> www.betav.com
> Please reply only to the newsgroup so that others can benefit.
> __________________________________
> Visit www.hitchhikerguides.net to get more information on my latest book:
> Hitchhiker's Guide to Visual Studio and SQL Server (7th Edition)
> and Hitchhiker's Guide to SQL Server 2005 Compact Edition (EBook)
>
> "SvenC" <SvenC@community.nospam> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> >> I've googled until I'm blue in the face - nowhere can I find the
> >> solution to this....
> >>
> >> Developed my first real app in vb.net 2005. works great on my PC and
> >> my laptop (which also has VB.Net 2005 installed on it)
> >>
> >> The app also installs in my friends new Dell laptop
> >>
> >> However, on my other PC and another laptop it won't run.
> >>
> >> System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly
> >> 'ADODB,
> >> Version=7.0.3300.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a'
> >> or one
> >> of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
> >
> > Open Depends.exe from %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Visual Studio
> > 8\Common7\Tools\Bin
> > From Depends.exe open you executable which does not load. Press F5 and
> > watch the output messages of Depends.exe. It shows which dlls are loaded
> > and which fail to load. That should help to identify which dependency is
> > missing.
> >
> > --
> > SvenC

raulavi