microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.setup

Can UI dialogs be displayed conditionally?

Bogdan

Files and custom actions can have conditions set in their properties. This
does not seem to be true for UI dialog boxes. I'm surprised that such an
important feature has been missed in deployment projects. How can you ask a
user to enter info that has nothing to do with options that he/she chose?
Am I missing something? Are there any workarounds?

Thanks,
Bogdan

3 Answers

Phil Wilson

You can delete the dialogs you don't want to use in the User Interface view
in the IDE, right-click on the dialog and Delete.
--
Phil Wilson
[Microsoft MVP-Windows Installer]

"Bogdan" <nouser@nodomain.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Files and custom actions can have conditions set in their properties.
> This does not seem to be true for UI dialog boxes. I'm surprised that
> such an important feature has been missed in deployment projects. How can
> you ask a user to enter info that has nothing to do with options that
> he/she chose?
> Am I missing something? Are there any workarounds?
>
> Thanks,
> Bogdan

Bogdan

I'd like to do that during the installation. That is, I'd like to show
selected dialogs only if a given condition is set. For example, if a user
selects an option (e.g. by checking off a checkbox) that requires more info
I'd like to show an additional dialog to gather the info. I'm afraid this
is not possible since dialogs don't have the "Condition" property in the UI
editor.

"Phil Wilson" <pdjwilson@nospam.cox.net> wrote in message
> You can delete the dialogs you don't want to use in the User Interface
> view in the IDE, right-click on the dialog and Delete.
> --
> Phil Wilson
> [Microsoft MVP-Windows Installer]
>
> "Bogdan" <nouser@nodomain.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> Files and custom actions can have conditions set in their properties.
>> This does not seem to be true for UI dialog boxes. I'm surprised that
>> such an important feature has been missed in deployment projects. How
>> can you ask a user to enter info that has nothing to do with options that
>> he/she chose?
>> Am I missing something? Are there any workarounds?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Bogdan

Phil Wilson

Visual Studio's dialogs are preconfigured - you'd have to use a more
fully-featured tool if you want to alter dialog orders (or learn how to edit
the ControlEvent table directly with Orca to alter the next dialog to be
shown).