microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.setup

Is [TARGETDIR] available in UI dialog boxes of a setup project?

dan

I thought I could provide a default value as [TARGETDIR] for a text box in a
UI dialog box. This does not seem to work though. Is this because this
property is not yet available at this stage? Is there another 'variable'
that I can use instead?

Thanks,
Dan

3 Answers

Phil Wilson

It should be available. I can put [TARGETDIR] in the WelcomeText of the
opening Welcome dialog and it shows the value ok. Some of those dialog boxes
already assume you're using a property, IIRC, so you may not need the
brackets, but it is case-sensitive.
--
Phil Wilson
[MVP Windows Installer]

"dan" <dan@company.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I thought I could provide a default value as [TARGETDIR] for a text box in
> a UI dialog box. This does not seem to work though. Is this because this
> property is not yet available at this stage? Is there another 'variable'
> that I can use instead?
>
> Thanks,
> Dan

dan

[TARGETDIR] will indeed appear in the WelcomeText. It'll also show in text
box labels. The problem is that the property is ignored when put in the
value field of a text box (e.g. Edit1Value). Other properties like
[ComputerName] are displayed properly. I can't figure out the logic behind
it.
BTW, removing brackets displays "TARGETDIR".

"Phil Wilson" <phil.wilson@wonderware.something.com> wrote in message
> It should be available. I can put [TARGETDIR] in the WelcomeText of the
> opening Welcome dialog and it shows the value ok. Some of those dialog
> boxes already assume you're using a property, IIRC, so you may not need
> the brackets, but it is case-sensitive.
> --
> Phil Wilson
> [MVP Windows Installer]
>
> "dan" <dan@company.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I thought I could provide a default value as [TARGETDIR] for a text box
>> in a UI dialog box. This does not seem to work though. Is this because
>> this property is not yet available at this stage? Is there another
>> 'variable' that I can use instead?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Dan

marcoyou