microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.setup

Installing .NET 2.0 with a VS 2003 installer

Steve Barker

5/21/2007 2:14:00 PM

Installing .NET 2.0 with a VS 2003 installer

Hi guys,

Weâ??ve got an existing product written using .NET 1.1.The product is
installed using an installer created in VS 2003, which lives in the same
solution as the product code. We have a little work we want to do to this
application that involves editing some directory permissions at install time.
We can perform the tweaks we need to using an executable that is launched as
a custom action by the installer.

The only problem is that the custom action code we want to run at install
time only exists in the .NET 2.0 Framework, so the custom action executable
is a .NET 2.0 executable. (The .NET 2.0 code Iâ??m trying to call is
DirectoryInfo.SetAccessControl(â?¦))

We donâ??t want to upgrade our product code to .NET 2.0 at this time, since we
know that .NET 2.0 is less forgiving towards thread errors, and we havenâ??t
time to make sure our product will work with .NET 2.0, so we need some other
quick solution!

Iâ??m fairly sure that the .NET 1.1 product code will run under .NET 2.0 (this
will be tested further shortly), so all we need to do is ensure that our
installer (in VS 2003) installs the .NET 2.0 Framework instead of the .NET
1.1 Framework. Iâ??ve already tried replacing the 1.1 dotnetfx.exe with the 2.0
version in the set up files. That launches the 2.0 installer fine, although
it doesnâ??t shell back to the standard product installer once that has
finished. Iâ??m going to have a look at editing the Launch Conditions criteria,
although Iâ??m not sure how successful that will be.

Really, I guess I have a few questions:

1) Is what I want to do a good idea?
2) Has anyone else ever needed to do anything like this?
3) Has anyone else managed to get this approach to work? If so, how?
4) Is there another much simpler way to achieve the same thing?

Thanks in advance!

Steve.
1 Answer

Steve Barker

Update:

Actually, Iâ??ve discovered that by overwriting the dotnetfx.exe file
generated by the VS2003 installer with the .NET 2.0 version AND updating the
SupportRuntimes property of the .NET Framework launch condition to
â??1.1.4322;2.0.50727â?, the installer can be made to work with the .NET 2.0
Framework.

That only leaves the question of whether itâ??s a good idea to do what Iâ??ve
done, or is my approach likely to run into problems on other operating
systems and in certain circumstances.

Thanks guys,

Steve.