microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.setup

Deployment of the Windows Application in C#.Net

apondu

5/14/2007 11:50:00 AM

Hi

I am deploying a desktop application and adding some files to the
folder in the application folder (I also tried to add these files to
custom folder also). All goes fine when the setup is installed but
when i try to delete or update these files and then try to launch the
application with exe .I always gets a infromation regarding install/
reinstall of the application.

I am just stuck into it , so please help me out with the solution so
that i can delete files from the folder without having that
installer.These files are the .exe files which are required only
during the installtion ( for eg. to install the database) after they
are not needed.

Thanks for the response and help people here are doing.

Regards,
Govardhan

1 Answer

Phil Wilson

Repair is a built in feature of Windows Installer. You cannot absolutely
prevent it (someone can right-click on the MSI file and repair, or go to
Add/Remove Programs and repair, or simply try to reinstall the MSI file
again where it shows a Remove or Repair choice. Anyway, if these are
executables used as custom actions during the install you can usually mark
them as Exclude=True in the solution explorer view of the files. They still
run - they're stored in the MSI file and streamed out to run from a temp
folder instead of being installed.
--
Phil Wilson
[Microsoft MVP Windows Installer]