microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.setup

Selective copying of file via set-up

John

5/12/2007 1:12:00 AM

Hi

Is there a way to for a set-up project to copy a specific file during
installation only if destination does not already have this file?

Thanks

Regards

3 Answers

Phil Wilson

Why do you want to do this? The reason I ask is that for versioned code
files the standard behavior is that newer versions overwrite older version.
For data files the overwrite rule is more complicated, involving dates, but
nevertheless the standard behavior is to just use the setup project to do
the install, and if the code files on the system are a newer version they
won't get replaced.
--
Phil Wilson
[Microsoft MVP-Windows Installer]

"John" <John@nospam.infovis.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> Is there a way to for a set-up project to copy a specific file during
> installation only if destination does not already have this file?
>
> Thanks
>
> Regards

John

Its some configuration setting files that I want to keep after first
install.

Thanks

Regards

"Phil Wilson" <pdjwilson@nospam.cox.net> wrote in message
> Why do you want to do this? The reason I ask is that for versioned code
> files the standard behavior is that newer versions overwrite older
> version. For data files the overwrite rule is more complicated, involving
> dates, but nevertheless the standard behavior is to just use the setup
> project to do the install, and if the code files on the system are a newer
> version they won't get replaced.
> --
> Phil Wilson
> [Microsoft MVP-Windows Installer]
>
> "John" <John@nospam.infovis.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Hi
>>
>> Is there a way to for a set-up project to copy a specific file during
>> installation only if destination does not already have this file?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Regards

Phil Wilson

This is a bit more complicated. If you're using RemovePreviousVersions, this
is not an update, this is a remove of the old version (an uninstall)
followed by an install of the version. Is that what you're doing?