microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.setup

404 Error when using web deployment and setup projects.

OUSoonerTaz

4/26/2007 3:06:00 PM

I have a WCF project that works great within the VS2005 TS
environment. So, I created a web deployment project off of the WCF
project. I then added a web setup project and set the output to the
WCF project.

Everything builds fine and the msi is created as expected. I run the
msi to setup the WCF app to the local default web application(XP
sp2). All files are copied as expected. There is a html file that I
included to allow a user to quickly link to the .svc?WSDL pages. That
page shows up fine. When you either click a link to one of the .svc
OR browse directly to one of the .svc files, it returns the 404 not
found error.

Thinking that some of the setup options for IIS may be the issue, I
simply went in and deleted all files that were deployed to that
directory. I went back to visual studio and used the Build/Publish
function to publish the WCF project to the same directory. This time
when I browse the site, I don't get the 404 message, rather the
expected output.

The differences between the projects I can see is that the msi setup
bin folder has a few more files, there is an obj folder with
subfolders and files, there is a precompiledAppConfig file and there
is a .Publish.xml file.

Just a note, when the precompiledAppConfig file is deleted, it will
return the "This is a marker file generated by the precompilation
tool, and should not be deleted!" message rather than the 404 message.

Any help would be appreciated.