@T / http://DeepEndNews.com

4/17/2007 9:04:00 PM

Oh, PLEASE help:
After a glitch-filled OS restore for XP Pro (which took three reinstalls of
Windows, and some troubles with downloading and installing Windows OneCare),
a couple of encrypted Notepad files on Desktop -- including error info on IE7
-- could not be opened. This happened pretty much in mid-stride.
On inspection, there were TWO certificates for Notepad (or IE, or the
system itself -- wherever the certificate belongs).
So ... I deleted the apparently-"rogue" one. The other one STILL wouldn't
work, so I deleted THAT.
And ... now I can't encrypt files at ALL.
And of course I don't know what ELSE is messed up: one peculiar result was
that I couldn't view "workgroup" -- which in theory is my own computer.
So ... I changed the name of the computer in System. Which didn't change the
EFS problem, at any rate.
Any ideas? Anyone?
Thank you.