microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.setup

System.ArgumentException error thrown when running Installer

jim.craig43

3/28/2007 9:16:00 AM

I added a dialog to the installer UI so that a user could specify an
LDAP path to be used by my application. Every time I ran the
installer, a system.argumentexception was thrown - took me ages to
work out what was happening so I thought I would share this:

In the properties window of the installer project's custom actions,
check the Custom Action Data field and ensure that:

1) There are no spaces between the key name and the value i.e. key=
"[value]" is invalid, key="[value]" is ok
2) Value should be enclosed in quotation marks in case user enters a
value containing a space. i.e. "[value]".

As usual, the VS documentaion was pretty scant on this subject and I
had to figure it out myself.