Michael Miazga

3/21/2007 3:04:00 PM

For a VS.net class we were to set up the .net framework 1.1 with SDK &
quickstart samples.

I installed:
1. .NET Framework Version 1.1 Redistributable Package
2. .NET Framework Software Development Kit Version 1.1

in this order. I had to change the default document in IIS 'quickstart'
subsite to default.aspx in order to get localhost/quickstart to work.
I'm trying to run sample from 'a personalized portal' and am getting
this error:

Server Error in '/QuickStart/aspplus/samples/portal/VB' Application.

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not
set to an instance of an object.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current
web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the

Stack Trace:

object.]
Personalization.UserState..ctor(String UserId, String dsn) in
E:\DNA\samples\QuickStart\aspplus\samples\portal\VB\personalization\Personalization.vb:130
Personalization.UserStateModule.OnEnter(Object Sender, EventArgs E)
in
E:\DNA\samples\QuickStart\aspplus\samples\portal\VB\personalization\Personalization.vb:52

System.Web.SyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication+IExecutionStep.Execute()
+60
completedSynchronously) +87

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.573;
ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.573

I have MSDE SQL Server 2005 express installed on the Windows XP
Professional SP2 Machine. I created a database called NETSDK. Any
ideas what is the problem?