microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.setup

Deploying registry settings in Vista

andrewbb

3/9/2007 6:28:00 PM

A deployment package for a Service application that worked under XP is
failing in Vista with error 2869.

The error occurs when the Installer component runs custom code to
write a registry entry:
SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MyServiceName\Group

Code in the Installer component that causes the problem:
Protected Overrides Sub OnAfterInstall(ByVal savedState As
System.Collections.IDictionary)
MyBase.OnAfterInstall(savedState)

Using key As RegistryKey =
Registry.LocalMachine.OpenSubKey("SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\"
+ Me.ServiceInstaller.ServiceName, True)
key.SetValue("Group", "UIGroup")
End Using
End Sub

So how can I get that entry installed under Vista?

3 Answers

andrewbb

I found the solution. And it's really 2 problems:
1. you can't see the "real" error
2. VS setup projects with Custom Actions don't work in Vista (security
issues)

The above is paraphrasing the source:
http://www.shahine.com/omar/VSTOAddinsAnd...

Phil Wilson

Why can't you just set the registry data using the registry view in the
setup project's IDE? Then it will work.
--
Phil Wilson
[Microsoft MVP-Windows Installer]
<andrewbb@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I found the solution. And it's really 2 problems:
> 1. you can't see the "real" error
> 2. VS setup projects with Custom Actions don't work in Vista (security
> issues)
>
> The above is paraphrasing the source:
> http://www.shahine.com/omar/VSTOAddinsAnd...

jacky kwok

andrewbb@gmail.com wrote:
> I found the solution. And it's really 2 problems:
> 1. you can't see the "real" error
> 2. VS setup projects with Custom Actions don't work in Vista (security
> issues)
>
> The above is paraphrasing the source:
> http://www.shahine.com/omar/VSTOAddinsAnd...

You will work but you need to run the related "setup.exe" which is
generated by VisualStudio.

refer http://www.helpware.net/Vista...

otherwise you can just disable the UAC, then you can do anything. (take
risk yourself).

--
Jacky Kwok
jacky@alumni_DOT_cuhk_DOT_edu_DOT_hk