microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.setup

.NET Framework 2.0 Install Hangs

KittyHawk

2/5/2007 12:08:00 AM

I am trying to install the .NET Framework version 2.0 on a Windows 2003, IIS
6 server thatâ??s already running version 1.1 of the Framework. Once installed
I plan on running ASP.NET 2.0 and 1.1 side by side.

During the installation attempt, the install program hangs when it tries to
stop the IIS Admin service. Then, it attempts to rollback the installation
and fails at that as well. Luckily, version 1.1 still runs and I am not
having problems with IIS. I tried stopping the IIS Admin service via command
line and through the services manager and it still fails. Then, I tried
stopping each IIS Admin related service one by one and it looks like the SMTP
service will not let me stop it so it might be the culprit.

So, my question is twofold. Why is the SMTP service hanging and what should
I do to successfully install version 2.0 of the framework.