microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.setup

Problem installing Web Service on Windows Vista

AnGuard

1/23/2007 10:31:00 AM

Hi everyone,
I developed a Web Service with Visual Studio 2003 and Framework 1.1.
Using Visual Studio 2003 I created the setup package for the Web Service and
it works fine on Win2k versions, XPPro Sp2, Win2k3 Server.
When I try to run the Setup package on Windows Vista Business, after the
request of vDir and Port Number, I get a messagebox with the following
message (Translated) "Cannot find Virtual directory
http://servername/vDirName".
The installation ends with error and rollback.
Any idea on why this happens and on what can I do to solve this problem?
Thanks

--
Antonio
------------

2 Answers

jacky kwok

AnGuard wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> I developed a Web Service with Visual Studio 2003 and Framework 1.1.
> Using Visual Studio 2003 I created the setup package for the Web Service and
> it works fine on Win2k versions, XPPro Sp2, Win2k3 Server.
> When I try to run the Setup package on Windows Vista Business, after the
> request of vDir and Port Number, I get a messagebox with the following
> message (Translated) "Cannot find Virtual directory
> http://servername/vDirName".
> The installation ends with error and rollback.
> Any idea on why this happens and on what can I do to solve this problem?
> Thanks

Do you try to disable the UAC (user account control) in Vista?

The UAC does not allow the user to install web app easy. In fact, if you
run the "msi" directly. It will fail in genreal.

You can try to disable the UAC.
Or try to run the "setup.exe" related to the "msi" if you use VS to
generate the paskage. "setup.exe" has specail effect in UAC, so that it
may be helpful.

--
Jacky Kwok
jacky@alumni_DOT_cuhk_DOT_edu_DOT_hk

AnGuard

I installed IIS6 compatibility and all worked fine.
Thanks to Raffaele Rialdi (Microsoft .NET MVP) who gave me the solution and
thank you for your quick answer and for your time.

--
Antonio