microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.setup

Setup Options for SQL Server 2005 Express Edition

rmgalante

12/29/2006 12:23:00 AM

I have a setup package that I built with VS 2005. I selected three
prerequisites in the package, .Net Framework version 2.0, MSI Installer
version 3.1, and Sql Server 2005 Express Edition.

I was wondering if I can specify the SECURITYMODE and
DISABLENETWORKPROTOCOLS setup options that were available with MSDE
2000. I tried to add them on the command line when I executed the setup
bootstrapper, but they didn't work.

setup SECURITYMODE=SQL DISABLENETWORKPROTOCOLS=0

So I was forced to change the registry by hand and use the SQL Server
Configuration Manager to enable TCP/IP.

Isn't there a way to specify these settings from the command line or a
setup.ini file, like we had with MSDE 2000? If so, is a sample
SETUP.INI file available? I need to automate these settings so the
installation is easier.

If not, how do I set the disabled network protocols programmatically
from a custom action? I figured out how to set the security mode
programmatically by updating the registry, but this will only work if
the installation is the first named instance.

It takes 30 minutes to install SQL Server 2005 Express Edition on older
machines. The last thing I want is to complicate the user's
installation any further.