microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.setup

Re: Could not load type 'System.Web.Security.AccessRoleProvider'

Dominick Baier

12/11/2006 3:29:00 PM

well - the class this config element is referring to

<add name="AspNetAccessProvider2"
type="System.Web.Security.AccessRoleProvider"
connectionStringName="AccessFileName" applicationName="/"></add>

is not included anymore in .NET 2.0 - it was there in beta times...

makes sense?

-----
Dominick Baier (http://www.leastpri...)

> "Dominick Baier" <dbaier@pleasepleasenospam_leastprivilege.com> wrote
> in message news:51eb30483a128c8eb540d8faa70@news.microsoft.com...
>
>> Hi,
>> all Access providers were removed in RTM - i think you can download
>> them
>> (or move to a proper db ;))
>> hmm - i just did a quick google but i can't find them
>>
> I'm not sure what you're referring to re: access providers. I didn't
> write the app.
>
> Re: moving to a "proper db", the app will one day reside on SQL so I
> can get away from the MS Access nightmare but not feasible at the
> moment.
>
> Roland

6 Answers

Roland Hall

"Dominick Baier" <dbaier@pleasepleasenospam_leastprivilege.com> wrote in
message news:51eb30483a278c8eb5889ed0500@news.microsoft.com...
> well - the class this config element is referring to
>
> <add name="AspNetAccessProvider2"
> type="System.Web.Security.AccessRoleProvider"
> connectionStringName="AccessFileName" applicationName="/"></add>
>

> is not included anymore in .NET 2.0 - it was there in beta times...
>
> makes sense?

Yes. So can I just remove the line?

--
Roland

Dominick Baier

i don't think so - there must be some functionality relying on the configuration
-

think of role providers as drivers for some datastore to get application
(security) roles from - the "driver" for Access has been removed from the
..NET Framework. Thats the issue.

I guess you will break the application if you remove it...

-----
Dominick Baier (http://www.leastpri...)

> "Dominick Baier" <dbaier@pleasepleasenospam_leastprivilege.com> wrote
> in message news:51eb30483a278c8eb5889ed0500@news.microsoft.com...
>
>> well - the class this config element is referring to
>>
>> <add name="AspNetAccessProvider2"
>> type="System.Web.Security.AccessRoleProvider"
>> connectionStringName="AccessFileName" applicationName="/"></add>
>>
>> is not included anymore in .NET 2.0 - it was there in beta times...
>>
>> makes sense?
>>
> Yes. So can I just remove the line?
>
> --
> Roland

Roland Hall

> "Dominick Baier" <dbaier@pleasepleasenospam_leastprivilege.com> wrote in
> message news:51eb30483a278c8eb5889ed0500@news.microsoft.com...
>> well - the class this config element is referring to
>>
>> <add name="AspNetAccessProvider2"
>> type="System.Web.Security.AccessRoleProvider"
>> connectionStringName="AccessFileName" applicationName="/"></add>
>>

>> is not included anymore in .NET 2.0 - it was there in beta times...
>>
>> makes sense?
>
> Yes. So can I just remove the line?

I removed the line and now I'm here:
Theme 'White' cannot be found in the application or global theme directories

I like dominoes but this is ridiculous.

Roland Hall

> "Roland Hall" <nobody@nowhere> wrote in message
>> "Dominick Baier" <dbaier@pleasepleasenospam_leastprivilege.com> wrote in
>> message news:51eb30483a278c8eb5889ed0500@news.microsoft.com...
>>> well - the class this config element is referring to
>>>
>>> <add name="AspNetAccessProvider2"
>>> type="System.Web.Security.AccessRoleProvider"
>>> connectionStringName="AccessFileName" applicationName="/"></add>
>>>

>>> is not included anymore in .NET 2.0 - it was there in beta times...
>>>
>>> makes sense?
>>
>> Yes. So can I just remove the line?
>
> I removed the line and now I'm here:
> Theme 'White' cannot be found in the application or global theme
> directories

contained anything and now I'm here:

An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When
connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that
under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections.
(provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating
Server/Instance Specified)

looking at the ASP.NET config I see, LocalSqlServer with connect parameters:
data source=.\SQLEXPRESS;Integrated
Security=SSPI;AttachDBFilename=|DataDirectory|aspnetdb.mdf;User
Instance=true

Problem is, I don't have SQLEXPRESS. I have SQL Server but not using it for
this app. I'm using MS Access.

My data directory is \websites\sedg\data\aspnetdb.mdb

Can I replace the connection string with an OLEDB connection to MS Access?

--
Roland Hall

Oliver Sturm [MVP C#]

Hello Roland,

You should contact the author of the application (which isn't you, as I
understand) and ask for a version of the application that is compatible
with .NET 2.0 final (as opposed to beta). It is impossible to judge from
the outside what changes may be required in the application to make it
work, and it's more than likely that you won't be able to make those
changes yourself.

Oliver Sturm
--
http://www.sturmne...

Roland Hall

"Dominick Baier" <dbaier@pleasepleasenospam_leastprivilege.com> wrote in
message news:51eb30483a368c8eb6412e0e420@news.microsoft.com...
>i don't think so - there must be some functionality relying on the
>configuration -
> think of role providers as drivers for some datastore to get application
> (security) roles from - the "driver" for Access has been removed from the
> .NET Framework. Thats the issue.
>
> I guess you will break the application if you remove it...
>
> -----
> Dominick Baier (http://www.leastpri...)
>
>> "Dominick Baier" <dbaier@pleasepleasenospam_leastprivilege.com> wrote
>> in message news:51eb30483a278c8eb5889ed0500@news.microsoft.com...
>>
>>> well - the class this config element is referring to
>>>
>>> <add name="AspNetAccessProvider2"
>>> type="System.Web.Security.AccessRoleProvider"
>>> connectionStringName="AccessFileName" applicationName="/"></add>
>>>
>>> is not included anymore in .NET 2.0 - it was there in beta times...
>>>
>>> makes sense?
>>>
>> Yes. So can I just remove the line?

It was already broken. (O:=

I'm currently referencing this: