microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.setup

Deployment of a server setup

Udo Nesshoever

12/11/2006 9:23:00 AM

Hi!

Situation:
I have a written a client-server application (both sides) that
communicate via remoting. The server provides a clickonce deployment
to install the client. This installation includes the client's
app.config that contains the server's address (URI) where the remoting
services are located. Of course for every server, this app.config to
deploy is different.

Example:
Customer 1:
server address: server1.company1.tld
-> clients app.config contains:
<wellknown type="class.interface, assembly"
url="http://server1.company1.tld/classname.re... />

Customer 2:
server address: my_serv.unit5.tld
-> clients app.config contains:
<wellknown type="class.interface, assembly"
url="http://my_serv.unit5.tld/classname.re... />

Problem:
How can I create a general setup routine (may involve manual steps) to
burn a CD for our install team to use that CD for several customers to
install our server.
I cannot change the app.config.deploy file in the server's deployment
folder as the checksum during clickonce deployment would fail.

Any idea??? Thanks for your help in advance.

Cheers,
Udo