microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.setup

Version 1.1 -AND 2.0 installed?

Broida (spamless)

11/18/2006 1:37:00 AM

Hi!
On my WinXP Pro (SP2) system, Add/Remove Programs shows
these entries for the .NET Framework:

-Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1
-Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Hotfix (KB886903)
-Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0
- Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 (KB922770)
- Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 (KB917283)

I'm sure either:
a) the system came with 1.1,
b) 1.1 was part of SP2,
or c) I installed 1.1 from Windows Update.
Then I installed the 1.1 Hotfix when it showed up.
THEN I installed 2.0 when it appeared, followed by the
security updates as they appeared.

(I'm pretty sure the 2.0 install instructions didn't say
to uninstall 1.1 first. Maybe I missed that.)

I have VisualStudio 6.0 Enterprise Edition and Office XP
Developer edition installed here, if that makes any
difference. (I'm looking at the ExpressEditions to
upgrade VisualStudio, but want to keep the old one, too.)

My questions are:
1) does 2.0 -require- any/all of the 1.1 stuff to be there?
2) is the above setup "normal"?
3) if not normal, what is the best solution? uninstall ALL
versions and re-install only version 2.0 + updates?
3a) Would uninstalling all versions make WindowsXPPro barf
and prevent installing 2.0? I realize .NET stuff
would not work until some version is reinstalled,
but would the OS itself fail without any .NET?

Thanks!
Mike
1 Answer

Broida (spamless)

I dug around and it looks like .NET Framework versions
don't supercede other versions. They can all live
happily together, and each application uses the version
it requires.

So my post below is sufficiently answered. Thanks for
reading it, anyway. :)

I'll post some VisualStudio questions in other groups.

Mike