microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.setup

.NET 3.0 redistributable package is BIG

rolf.matreskova

11/9/2006 11:50:00 AM

50 MB, over 22 MB for 2.0.

This is NOT going to help distributing the package to XP SP2
computers...

Gosh, what accounts for this >100% increase ?

6 Answers

Vadym Stetsyak

Hello, rolf.matreskova@hotmail.com!

rm> 50 MB, over 22 MB for 2.0.

rm> This is NOT going to help distributing the package to XP SP2
rm> computers...

rm> Gosh, what accounts for this >100% increase ?

Maybe WCF, WPF, WWF ...

--
Regards, Vadym Stetsyak
www: http://vadmyst.bl...

rolf.matreskova

> rm> 50 MB, over 22 MB for 2.0.
>

> Maybe WCF, WPF, WWF ...

Vadym, of course, but I was looking for a bit more technical
detail here... Who's the hog ? Why ? It seems quite a large
increase for features which were already part, in other forms,
of a framework that contains much more than just those.

Cheers

Chris Mullins

Actually, I was just thinking, "Wow, .Net 3.0 is only 50 megs? That's small
enough we can require it to be installed with no trouble!".

--
Chris Mullins, MCSD.NET, MCPD:Enterprise
http://www.coversant.net/blog...

<rolf.matreskova@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> 50 MB, over 22 MB for 2.0.
>
> This is NOT going to help distributing the package to XP SP2
> computers...
>
> Gosh, what accounts for this >100% increase ?

Damien

rolf.matreskova@hotmail.com wrote:

> > rm> 50 MB, over 22 MB for 2.0.
> >

> > Maybe WCF, WPF, WWF ...
>
> Vadym, of course, but I was looking for a bit more technical
> detail here... Who's the hog ? Why ? It seems quite a large
> increase for features which were already part, in other forms,
> of a framework that contains much more than just those.
>
> Cheers

To save you the minute of effort of opening the \Framework\v3.0
directory, right clicking on each subdirectory, bringing up properties
and looking at the sizes...

WCF is 18MB on disk
WF is ~3MB on disk
WPF is 20MB on disk

To be honest, I'm surprised at how small WF is.

And to describe them as features that were already part of the
framework is erroneous. They're new, and shiny, and one day I might get
to use them. Still on 1.1 for active development here :-(

Damien

rolf.matreskova

Damien, the features may be new and shiny, and I agree they are,
but nonetheless there is a lot of overlap for example between
WinForms and WPF. The class hierarchies have many similarities
and in many instances achieve the same features (WPF does it
in a neater way). The Microsoft story regarding where to use WPF
versus WinForms is everything but clear, not to mention whether
they are going to stick with this "interoperability" workaround or
whether they have a consistent strategy moving forward. What
about WCF versus .NET remoting, do they share implementation ?
Overlap in features means overlap in implementation means code
bloat ?

Now regarding the framework size and to respond to Chris, 50MB
may be fine in an Enterprise environment, or in places where
high-bandwidth Internet is available, but I have been trying for
the last couple of years to convince my clients in Asia to agree to
download the .NET 2.0 framework, and they are reluctant for
a number of reasons, framework size being one them. In lots
of places in Asia 20Mb download is huge as bandwidth is not
what you know about in western cities, so now that MS gives
us a 50Mb FW I will have to wait for everyone to move to
Vista (years !), which is tremendously annoying, even more
annoying than the fact that MS did not include .NET in XP.

Don't get me wrong, I think .NET 3.0 is great, but frankly
the 'more than double' increase in size feels like it was
rushed to the market without taking this issue into account.
And that may be deliberate... But what next:: 100 MB for
..NET 4.0 ?...

Damien wrote:
> rolf.matreskova@hotmail.com wrote:
>
> > > rm> 50 MB, over 22 MB for 2.0.
> > >

> > > Maybe WCF, WPF, WWF ...
> >
> > Vadym, of course, but I was looking for a bit more technical
> > detail here... Who's the hog ? Why ? It seems quite a large
> > increase for features which were already part, in other forms,
> > of a framework that contains much more than just those.
> >
> > Cheers
>
> To save you the minute of effort of opening the \Framework\v3.0
> directory, right clicking on each subdirectory, bringing up properties
> and looking at the sizes...
>
> WCF is 18MB on disk
> WF is ~3MB on disk
> WPF is 20MB on disk
>
> To be honest, I'm surprised at how small WF is.
>
> And to describe them as features that were already part of the
> framework is erroneous. They're new, and shiny, and one day I might get
> to use them. Still on 1.1 for active development here :-(
>
> Damien

MichaelG

..Net 3.0 'includes' the .Net 2.0 redistributable so that's 20 of the 50MB.

And WPF is a completely different animal to WinForms. We have to keep
WinForms and .NET 2.0 for backward compatibility but thank goodness there is
now the beginnings of a decent SmartClient framework and UI that enable the
creation of truly stunning interfaces.

--Michael