microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.setup

UnInstall - Help me please!

G Hustis

10/23/2006 8:07:00 PM

I have a C# app (VS2003) that has been installed on 5 Win2000 Server machines
each one configured exactly like the other (so my customer tells me). My
customer is having trouble running these apps and we have run into a sticky
problem in trying to resolve it. I have a number of questions that i want
answered so that I can fix this and so this situation doesn't occur again.
The application was installed under a user (User1) and, I'm sure the "Just
Me" button was selected during the install process. Then another user (User2,
with admin rights) logs on and since there is no shortcut on his desktop &
start menu he navigates to the EXE and tries to run the program and obviously
it won't. So as User2 & through the add/remove programs he uninstalls the app
& reinstalls it selecting the "Everyone" option. Problem is the app will
still not run. He's done this on 2 servers now with the exact same results.
We didn't realize the problem until he did this on the 2nd server. So on the
3rd server I found the user that actually installed the application &
uninstalled it under that user. Logging in as another user with admin rights
I installed the application and it runs just as expected. So i am convnced
that on the first 2 Servers there is some remnant someplace that is tying the
application to the original user who first installed the application.
1 - has anybody else experienced such a thing?
2 - is there any way to tell whcih user originally installed the program?
The customer is not sure & there is no evidence in the start menu & our app
does not record this anywhere.
3 - Is there a common coding practice that would allow us to trap this kind
of error better.
Thanks in advance.
Gary

2 Answers

Phil Wilson

For 3, the best practice is to know in advance that you don't want to allow
a per-user installation and prevent it. VS 2005 setups have an
InstallAllUsers project property that you can use to default to Everyone,
and this article will help you get rid of the choice (because VS setups
don't have a dialog editor).
http://support.microsoft.com...
--
Phil Wilson
[Microsoft MVP-Windows Installer]
"G Hustis" <GHustis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a C# app (VS2003) that has been installed on 5 Win2000 Server
>machines
> each one configured exactly like the other (so my customer tells me). My
> customer is having trouble running these apps and we have run into a
> sticky
> problem in trying to resolve it. I have a number of questions that i want
> answered so that I can fix this and so this situation doesn't occur again.
> The application was installed under a user (User1) and, I'm sure the "Just
> Me" button was selected during the install process. Then another user
> (User2,
> with admin rights) logs on and since there is no shortcut on his desktop &
> start menu he navigates to the EXE and tries to run the program and
> obviously
> it won't. So as User2 & through the add/remove programs he uninstalls the
> app
> & reinstalls it selecting the "Everyone" option. Problem is the app will
> still not run. He's done this on 2 servers now with the exact same
> results.
> We didn't realize the problem until he did this on the 2nd server. So on
> the
> 3rd server I found the user that actually installed the application &
> uninstalled it under that user. Logging in as another user with admin
> rights
> I installed the application and it runs just as expected. So i am convnced
> that on the first 2 Servers there is some remnant someplace that is tying
> the
> application to the original user who first installed the application.
> 1 - has anybody else experienced such a thing?
> 2 - is there any way to tell whcih user originally installed the program?
> The customer is not sure & there is no evidence in the start menu & our
> app
> does not record this anywhere.
> 3 - Is there a common coding practice that would allow us to trap this
> kind
> of error better.
> Thanks in advance.
> Gary

G Hustis

Thanks Phill, in our new 2005 apps we will employ this. My problem now is
that we have a VS2003 app that was installed by one user & Unistalled by
another & we cannot get it to run and figure out why.
So any help in resolving this would be great.