microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.setup

ClickOnce : okay or not okay ?

Bill Woodruff

I'm just in the final stages of writing an article for DevX on ClickOnce,
and I would appreciate hearing from you if :

1. you invested in using ClickOnce and then found it not usable on your
project.

2. you invested in using ClickOnce and were succesful using it in its
on-line-connected only mode

3. you found a way to use ClickOnce with obfuscated files via Mage : I have
one first-hand account of not being able to use it with RemoteSoft
obfuscated files, and another first-hand report of being able to use it with
Dotfuscator produced files.

4. You have found any limitations in using Mage.exe or the GUI version of
Mage that were "show-stoppers" to enable the advanced features of ClickOnce.

5. You have found a work-around to un-install a program (and its registry
keys, associated files, etc.) from the application cache created on the
client's machine when using an application made using ClickOnce's
on-line-connected only mode.

6. what has been your experience with the "side by side" model of ClickOnce
deployment where multiple versions of files build up on the client (MS
states that auto-aging [erasure of versions before the current and
next-to-last version] only occurs in on-line connected mode).

7. Has the fact that ClickOnce automatically redownloads files you have
marked as "data," even if they haven't changed contributed to any problems
you may have had with speed of updates ?

I'm looking for useful (non-flaming) direct first-hand reports that will
help improve the article's relevance to developers out in the "real world."

thanks, Bill Woodruff
dotScience
Chiang Mai, Thailand