microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.setup

.NET 2003 - app.config problem.

Josh Crosby

10/19/2006 5:34:00 PM

Hello,
I have a simple little app that depends on the app.config file for sql server
settings, report locations, etc... my problem is my dev box has different
values in order for me to test with :) I wrote a small app that will take
a settings.xml file and merge it into the app.config file so that the production
settings are accurate. All works well, the app.config file is changed, but
when the user clicks on the application icon, it quickly throws an error:

"This application has failed to start because the application configuration
is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem."

I'm using vs 2003, a simple deployment project, a custom action (Commit)
that executes the smallxml app and passes arguments (/c /i "[TARGETDIR]Arcom.exe.config"
/o "[TARGETDIR]Arcom.exe.config" /s "[TARGETDIR]prodsettings.xml" /q), InstallerClass
is set to False.

I appreciate any help, I absolutely do not want to purchase wise or installshield
to execute a small app after an install happens. What a pain!!!

Thanks,
Josh Crosby

1 Answer

Josh Crosby

Found the problem thank God. Syntax error in the App.config (an extra pesty
")

Thanks,
Josh Crosby