microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.setup

#922770 leads to multiple problems with .NET Framework 1.1

Melelina

10/15/2006 12:46:00 PM

I have .NET framework 1.1 and 2.0 on an XP Pro machine. No problems until I
attempted to install #922770. The patch installed and then mscorsvw.exe ran
multiple instances of itself but did nothing even when the computer was idle
for a hour. I was having other problems with that patch so I uninstalled it.
It was difficult to uninstall. Then I saw errors in Event Viewer so I
decided to revert to a restore point before that patch was installed which I
did successfully. Upon the restore, mscorsvw.exe immediately tried to run
multiple instances of itself which made no sense since I had reverted to a
restore point before #922770. Then I found that an application had trouble
because it needed .NET 1.1 and evidently .NET 1.1 was corrupted.

I uninstalled 1.1 and rebooted. I then tried to do a full install. That
failed three times with the error each time: "Microsoft.Net Framework 1.1
setup has ended prematurely." I then tried renaming
%windir%\system32\mscoree.dll and tried to install again. Same error.

Event Viewer has a bunch of errors surrounding the .NET error. Such as:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Application Error
Event Category: (100)
Event ID: 1000
Date: 10/14/2006
Time: 10:45:47 PM
User: N/A
Computer: MELE
Faulting application RegSvcs.exe, version 1.1.4322.573, faulting module
unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00147de0.

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/....
Data:
0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74 Applicat
0008: 69 6f 6e 20 46 61 69 6c ion Fail
0010: 75 72 65 20 20 52 65 67 ure Reg
0018: 53 76 63 73 2e 65 78 65 Svcs.exe
0020: 20 31 2e 31 2e 34 33 32 1.1.432
0028: 32 2e 35 37 33 20 69 6e 2.573 in
0030: 20 75 6e 6b 6e 6f 77 6e unknown
0038: 20 30 2e 30 2e 30 2e 30 0.0.0.0
0040: 20 61 74 20 6f 66 66 73 at offs
0048: 65 74 20 30 30 31 34 37 et 00147
0050: 64 65 30 de0

I see that there is a removal tool to fix .NET Framework install failures.
I'm reluctant to use it because it will cripple .NET 2.0 which I am having
no problems with.