microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.setup

old versions of .net framework

Ben

9/15/2006 7:24:00 PM

I had to install .Net framework 1.1 for an application I use. It is
hardcoded to check for this version and I don't have the source code. I
just installed .Net framework 2.0 because another application needs it. I
checked my C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework directory and to my surprise
there are three .Net framework directories:
v1.0.3705
v1.1.4322
v2.0.50727

The v1.0.3705 directory has 5 files in it: installutil.exe.config,
mscormmc.cfg, mscormmc.dll, regsvcs.exe.config, and regsvcs.exe.rtm.config.
Can I delete this directory? v1.1 is supposed to replace v1.0 so it should
be ok to be delete but I want to check in case it might destory my system.

Thanks,

3 Answers

(Mattias Sjögren)

>Can I delete this directory?

Why would you want to do that?

> v1.1 is supposed to replace v1.0

Not really. They can exist happily side by side.

Mattias

--
Mattias Sjögren [C# MVP] mattias @ mvps.org
http://www.msjogren.n... | http://www.dotneti...

MsOsWin@anon.com

Mattias Sjögren <mattias.dont.want.spam@mvps.org> in

>>Can I delete this directory?
>
> Why would you want to do that?
>

>> v1.1 is supposed to replace v1.0
>
> Not really. They can exist happily side by side.
>

> Mattias

i'm looking at these posts semi-coincidentally, but...

i also see a quote from

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID...
F589-4842-8157-034D1E7CF3A3#QuickInfoContainer

===============
dotnetfx.exe
Version: 1.1
Date Published: 3/30/2004

Important: You cannot install two different language versions of the .NET Framework on the
same machine. Attempting to install a second language version of the .NET Framework
will cause the following error to appear: "Setup cannot install Microsoft .NET Framework
because another version of the product is already installed." If you are targeting a non-
English platform or if you wish to view .NET Framework resources in a different language,
you must download the appropriate language version of the .NET Framework language
pack

maybe text on that page is unchanged since 3-30-2004, and needs revision :-)

Phil Wilson

"Two different language versions" meaning you can't have (say) an english
1.1 and a french 1.1. There's nothing that prohibits 1.0, 1.1 and 2.0 on the
same system. I believe the pieces of the 1.0 framework are there to allow
redirection to 1.1 when full 1.0 isn't installed, IIRC.
--
Phil Wilson
[Microsoft MVP-Windows Installer]