microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.setup

framework version questions

Emby

9/12/2006 11:32:00 PM

I'm trying to get a handle on how the framework version is selected for
for an app built against a given framework version.

If I am deploying a .NET 1.1 app on a system that has the v2 frame work
installed, is it necessary to install the 1.1 framework?

If both v1.1 and 2.0 frameworks are installed, and an app built against v1.1
is run, which framework assemblies will the app load, v1.1 or v2?

In fact, I am deploying a v2 framework application, but some of the
commercial components referenced by my app are built against earlier
framework versions (v1 or 1.1). I believe this app will run if I install
only the v2.0 framework - is that right (assuming no interfaces were changed
in incompatible ways)?

So if v1.1 and v2.0 framework is installed, I presume that my v2.0 app will
call into the v2.0 framework. But what about when a v1.1 component is
loaded? will that also call into v2.0 framework, or will that component load
v1.1 assemblies?

And then what happens when the user (or some setup kit) installs v3 of the
framework 6 months from now?

Is there any way a running application can determine what version of the
framework it is using?

Thanks

1 Answer

Emby

No takers for this? I would appreciate some help ... I've looked through
docs and can't find anything that addresses these questions ...