microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.setup

Install on top of old client version issues?

schneider

9/12/2006 9:47:00 AM

Has anyone seen weird issues when installing custom clients on top of old
version?

Seen it a few times, remove all versions an reinstall the current again and
it works fine.
This a fairly complex remoting n-tier application, was installed with a MSI
package, other clients work fine when I see the issue.

Maybe i'm missing something, or doing something wrong?

Thanks,

Schneider

3 Answers

Phil Wilson

What does "installing custom clients on top of an old version" mean? If you
install something with an MSI package and then start changing the files
manually you risk a repair kicking in and restoring the files you replaced.
--
Phil Wilson
[Microsoft MVP-Windows Installer]

"schneider" <eschneider@ooooooooo.com> wrote in message
> Has anyone seen weird issues when installing custom clients on top of old
> version?
>
> Seen it a few times, remove all versions an reinstall the current again
> and it works fine.
> This a fairly complex remoting n-tier application, was installed with a
> MSI package, other clients work fine when I see the issue.
>
> Maybe i'm missing something, or doing something wrong?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Schneider

schneider

Case 1:
Install Client 1.0 [with MSI]
Install Client 2.0 [with MSI]

Case 2:
Install Client 1.0 [with MSI]
Remove Client 1.0 [Add Remove Programs]
Install Client 2.0 [with MSI]

Sometimes with Case 1, I get strange issues, usually on some strange
machine. If I remove all the installs and only install the latest it works.
Case 2, always seems to work, just requires an extra step.

Thanks,

Schneider

"Phil Wilson" <pdjwilson@nospam.cox.net> wrote in message
> What does "installing custom clients on top of an old version" mean? If
you
> install something with an MSI package and then start changing the files
> manually you risk a repair kicking in and restoring the files you
replaced.
> --
> Phil Wilson
> [Microsoft MVP-Windows Installer]
> Definitive Guide to Windows Installer
> http://apress.com/book/bookDisplay.ht...
>
> "schneider" <eschneider@ooooooooo.com> wrote in message
> > Has anyone seen weird issues when installing custom clients on top of
old
> > version?
> >
> > Seen it a few times, remove all versions an reinstall the current again
> > and it works fine.
> > This a fairly complex remoting n-tier application, was installed with a
> > MSI package, other clients work fine when I see the issue.
> >
> > Maybe i'm missing something, or doing something wrong?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Schneider

Phil Wilson

Installing on top of another in your case 1 will cause trouble. At least
there's a lot of potential for it. You should really be using
RemovePreviousVersion to automatically uninstall the older version, that's
what VS setup projects support.