microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.setup

limited users can not run my application

Marcus

9/11/2006 7:58:00 AM

I have created a setup project in VS2003 which installs my small
application.
The user gets to set which directory he/she wants to install the app.
When limited users try to run the app though, they cant.
I dont need the application to work on an intranet or such, it is only
a local computer with some Windows accounts on it, some limited and
some administrative.

How can I in my setup project make the application runnable for all
users, no matter what level (limited, administrative)?

I dont want my customers to need to go in and copying files or making
links or making all users administrative or something alike. I just
want my application by default to be runnable by all.

2 Answers

Phil Wilson

This doesn't seem to me to be anything to do with the setup - and anyway
setups don't cause a security breach by allowing a limited user to run an
app as though they were an administrator.

Your app just needs to be coded to know what folders and registry locations
can be used by limited users. Example: a common error is to attempt to
create files in the installation folder (Program Files\.....etc) but limited
users don't have write access to this folder. That's why there are folders
in Documents & Settings for this situation. The same is true of most entries
in HKLM, which is why you should be using HKCU.

--
Phil Wilson
[Microsoft MVP Windows Installer]

Phil Wilson skrev:

> This doesn't seem to me to be anything to do with the setup - and anyway
> setups don't cause a security breach by allowing a limited user to run an
> app as though they were an administrator.
>
> Your app just needs to be coded to know what folders and registry locations
> can be used by limited users. Example: a common error is to attempt to
> create files in the installation folder (Program Files\.....etc) but limited
> users don't have write access to this folder. That's why there are folders
> in Documents & Settings for this situation. The same is true of most entries
> in HKLM, which is why you should be using HKCU.

ok, thanks. I did not know that Program folder had restricted access
for limited users. I will try re-arrange folders and files in my
application to use the "documents and settings/all users/application
data/myAppDir/" path

Please see my recent post "How do I add a directory in VS2003 setup
project", cause I am having problems with creating the "documents and
settings/all users/application data/myAppDir/" folder.

I really hope you can help me out.

thanks.