microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.setup

Silent install of .NET 2.0 Framework...

celoftis

9/8/2006 7:45:00 PM

Here's the command string that I've seen in several threads referring
to the silent installation of the .NET 2.0 Framework...

dotnetfx.exe /q:a /c:"install /q"

This works great for me... I'm just looking for a through explination
of the paramters. I see that MS specifies the "/q", but what do the ":a
/c:..." options mean specifically.

Any pointers to documentation or explination would be appreciated.

celoftis

4 Answers

celoftis

> Here's the command string that I've seen in several threads referring
> to the silent installation of the .NET 2.0 Framework...
>
> dotnetfx.exe /q:a /c:"install /q"
>

> This works great for me... I'm just looking for a through explination
> of the paramters. I see that MS specifies the "/q", but what do the ":a
> /c:..." options mean specifically.
>
> Any pointers to documentation or explination would be appreciated.

Also,
A couple more questions...
- is there a logfile created by this process? If not is there a parm I
add, something like /logilfe "C:\logfilename.log"

Cowboy

dotnetfx.exe /q = run dotnetfx.exe silently
:a = do not show the extraction user interface
/c: = runs this command after unpacking files
"install /q" = run install silently (command being run)

/l "log.log" = create a log file named log.log

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Think outside the box!
<celoftis@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Here's the command string that I've seen in several threads referring
> to the silent installation of the .NET 2.0 Framework...
>
> dotnetfx.exe /q:a /c:"install /q"
>

> This works great for me... I'm just looking for a through explination
> of the paramters. I see that MS specifies the "/q", but what do the ":a
> /c:..." options mean specifically.
>
> Any pointers to documentation or explination would be appreciated.
>
> celoftis

celoftis

Thanks Gregory...
This line works:
dotnetfx.exe /q:a /c "install /q"

but these (with the log switch) do not (dotnetfx.exe process never is
listed as a process in the Task Manager | Processes list):
dotnetfx.exe /q:a /c "install /q" /l
dotnetfx.exe /q:a /c "install /q /l"
dotnetfx.exe /q:a /c "install /l /q"
dotnetfx.exe /q:a /c "install /q" /l "mylog.log"
dotnetfx.exe /q:a /c "install /q" /l:"mylog.log"
dotnetfx.exe /q:a /c "install /q /l 'mylog.log' "
dotnetfx.exe /q:a /c "install /q /l:'mylog.log' "

Any idea why the "/l" log option is not working?

Cowboy (Gregory A. Beamer) wrote:
> dotnetfx.exe /q = run dotnetfx.exe silently
> :a = do not show the extraction user interface
> /c: = runs this command after unpacking files
> "install /q" = run install silently (command being run)
>
> /l "log.log" = create a log file named log.log
>
> --
> Gregory A. Beamer
> MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

> Think outside the box!
> <celoftis@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Here's the command string that I've seen in several threads referring
> > to the silent installation of the .NET 2.0 Framework...
> >
> > dotnetfx.exe /q:a /c:"install /q"
> >

> > This works great for me... I'm just looking for a through explination
> > of the paramters. I see that MS specifies the "/q", but what do the ":a
> > /c:..." options mean specifically.
> >
> > Any pointers to documentation or explination would be appreciated.
> >
> > celoftis

Peri

On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 16:45:24 +0200, <celoftis@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Gregory...
> This line works:
> dotnetfx.exe /q:a /c "install /q"
>
> but these (with the log switch) do not (dotnetfx.exe process never is
> listed as a process in the Task Manager | Processes list):
> dotnetfx.exe /q:a /c "install /q" /l

I think it's
dotnetfx.exe /q:a /c "install /q /l" <- " after /l

Piotr Perak