microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.setup

Shortcut launches install and program???

Golden

8/23/2006 8:06:00 PM

I created a shortcut to a program that I am installing. I created the
shortcut by right clicking on the program in the application folder, and
selecting "Create Shortcut", then dragging the shortcut into a folder I
created under the "User's Programs Menu". Whenever I click on this shortcut
after being installed, the installer is relaunched as well as the program.
How can I get this to just launch the program (and not the install?)

4 Answers

Phil Wilson

It looks like it's going into repair mode. Did you remove any files after
you installed the product?
--
Phil Wilson
[Microsoft MVP-Windows Installer]

"Golden" <Golden@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I created a shortcut to a program that I am installing. I created the
> shortcut by right clicking on the program in the application folder, and
> selecting "Create Shortcut", then dragging the shortcut into a folder I
> created under the "User's Programs Menu". Whenever I click on this
> shortcut
> after being installed, the installer is relaunched as well as the program.
> How can I get this to just launch the program (and not the install?)

Golden

Phil:

You're a genius! I WAS removing a file (one that I wrote to launch another
install as a custom action). It is a self-deleting executable. Is there a
way to indicate that this file should not be checked?

"Phil Wilson" wrote:

> It looks like it's going into repair mode. Did you remove any files after
> you installed the product?
> --
> Phil Wilson
> [Microsoft MVP-Windows Installer]
> Definitive Guide to Windows Installer
> http://apress.com/book/bookDisplay.ht...

Phil Wilson

Not really - there are multiple paths into repair, including the case you
saw and options in Add/Remove Programs or right-clicking the original MSI
file.
--

> Phil:
>
> You're a genius! I WAS removing a file (one that I wrote to launch
> another
> install as a custom action). It is a self-deleting executable. Is there
> way to indicate that this file should not be checked?
>
> "Phil Wilson" wrote:
>
>> It looks like it's going into repair mode. Did you remove any files after
>> you installed the product?
>> --
>> Phil Wilson
>> [Microsoft MVP-Windows Installer]
>> Definitive Guide to Windows Installer
>> http://apress.com/book/bookDisplay.ht...

WillCrapser

I'm having the same problem; and it starts happening right after a fresh and error-free install (i.e. nothing has happened (that I know of) to cause a repair to be needed).

Do you have any suggestions of where to start looking for a problem?

Thanks in advance.

--Will
---
Posted via DotNetSlackers.com