microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.setup

Strange behavior in Windows Forms EXE with installer

smithgp

8/2/2006 6:41:00 PM

Hello,

I am having an issue with installing an .exe I have created in VS2003.
I have created exes with installers before with no problems, but this
one has got me stumped.

I have MYApp.exe which has an installer class within it. When I create
the MSI and run it, the installer class does not get invoked.

However, if I run 'installutil MYapp.exe', it does get invoked. Any
ideas what would cause this?

Thanks,
Glenn

4 Answers

Phil Wilson

You have added custom actions to your setup project? Just checking.....
--
Phil Wilson [MVP Windows Installer]
----
<smithgp@msn.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I am having an issue with installing an .exe I have created in VS2003.
> I have created exes with installers before with no problems, but this
> one has got me stumped.
>
> I have MYApp.exe which has an installer class within it. When I create
> the MSI and run it, the installer class does not get invoked.
>
> However, if I run 'installutil MYapp.exe', it does get invoked. Any
> ideas what would cause this?
>
> Thanks,
> Glenn

smithgp

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I have added a handler for the AfterInstall event which does get
invoked if I use installutil.

Thanks,
Glenn

Phil Wilson wrote:
> You have added custom actions to your setup project? Just checking.....
> --
> Phil Wilson [MVP Windows Installer]
> ----
> <smithgp@msn.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am having an issue with installing an .exe I have created in VS2003.
> > I have created exes with installers before with no problems, but this
> > one has got me stumped.
> >
> > I have MYApp.exe which has an installer class within it. When I create
> > the MSI and run it, the installer class does not get invoked.
> >
> > However, if I run 'installutil MYapp.exe', it does get invoked. Any
> > ideas what would cause this?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Glenn

smithgp

I'm such a bone head....

On second glance, I did mess up the custom tasks...:-(

Thanks for your help,

Glenn

smithgp@msn.com wrote:
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> Yes I have added a handler for the AfterInstall event which does get
> invoked if I use installutil.
>
> Thanks,
> Glenn
>
> Phil Wilson wrote:
> > You have added custom actions to your setup project? Just checking.....
> > --
> > Phil Wilson [MVP Windows Installer]
> > ----
> > <smithgp@msn.com> wrote in message
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I am having an issue with installing an .exe I have created in VS2003.
> > > I have created exes with installers before with no problems, but this
> > > one has got me stumped.
> > >
> > > I have MYApp.exe which has an installer class within it. When I create
> > > the MSI and run it, the installer class does not get invoked.
> > >
> > > However, if I run 'installutil MYapp.exe', it does get invoked. Any
> > > ideas what would cause this?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Glenn

Phil Wilson

I suspect that's not enough. IIRC, the actual implementation of the
AfterInstall event in installer class calls is that it literally gets called
at the end of the Install custom action from *within* the Install custom
action. If I'm right, this means that you won't get AfterInstall called
unless you have an Install custom action. This would mean that InstallUtil
and Installer classes from MSI behave differently, not something I'd have
expected.