microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.setup

Serial no check - setup & deployment project

sudhaoncyberworld

7/19/2006 8:48:00 AM

Hi techies

I have a registration form to download my application. During this
registration i generate serial no for that user and i am sending to
user by e-mail

The download contains my application deployed in .net setup &
deployment project. During installation the user has to give the serial

no which i sent to him by mail. If it is a valid serial then i should
allow them to install otherwise not.

In .net customer information dialog with serial number is available.
But i do not understand the goal of this dialog. will my scenario sit
in this dialog.

Or we have another option of Register user dialog which is only to call

an exe not for validation, will it be useful for me.

But goal is to stop the installation when they give wrong serial no.

Suggestions please

3 Answers

Phil Wilson

This forums thread includes a URL for an out-of-date way to do this with
Visual Studio (edit your MSI file with Orca) but basically Visual Studio
does not have IDE support for calling custom actions from the UI sequence.

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/showpost.aspx?postid=569591&am...
--
Phil Wilson [MVP Windows Installer]
----
<sudhaoncyberworld@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Hi techies
>
> I have a registration form to download my application. During this
> registration i generate serial no for that user and i am sending to
> user by e-mail
>

> The download contains my application deployed in .net setup &
> deployment project. During installation the user has to give the serial
>
> no which i sent to him by mail. If it is a valid serial then i should
> allow them to install otherwise not.
>

> In .net customer information dialog with serial number is available.
> But i do not understand the goal of this dialog. will my scenario sit
> in this dialog.
>

> Or we have another option of Register user dialog which is only to call
>
> an exe not for validation, will it be useful for me.
>

> But goal is to stop the installation when they give wrong serial no.
>

> Suggestions please

sudhaoncyberworld

The way is somewhat complex, i dont know where to start to achieve
this, any other simple solution

Phil Wilson wrote:
> This forums thread includes a URL for an out-of-date way to do this with
> Visual Studio (edit your MSI file with Orca) but basically Visual Studio
> does not have IDE support for calling custom actions from the UI sequence.
>
> http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/showpost.aspx?postid=569591&am...
> --
> Phil Wilson [MVP Windows Installer]
> ----
> <sudhaoncyberworld@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Hi techies
> >
> > I have a registration form to download my application. During this
> > registration i generate serial no for that user and i am sending to
> > user by e-mail
> >

> > The download contains my application deployed in .net setup &
> > deployment project. During installation the user has to give the serial
> >
> > no which i sent to him by mail. If it is a valid serial then i should
> > allow them to install otherwise not.
> >

> > In .net customer information dialog with serial number is available.
> > But i do not understand the goal of this dialog. will my scenario sit
> > in this dialog.
> >

> > Or we have another option of Register user dialog which is only to call
> >
> > an exe not for validation, will it be useful for me.
> >

> > But goal is to stop the installation when they give wrong serial no.
> >

> > Suggestions please

Phil Wilson

You could do it with a custom action that validates the PIDKEY property but
it will not be validated in the UI sequence. The user will enter it, the
install will proceed to nearly the end (all the files will be installed) and
then it will all rollback, uninstalling everything. It's not exactly an
ideal method since the app is effectively installed when you check the
serial, and you've given the user the impression that the serial is valid
(because they entered it and the install proceeded), and because the only
way they get to enter the correct serial is to run the entire install again.

Visual Studio is probably the leat-featured tool that builds MSI files.
There are dozens of things it has no IDE support for and a serial check in
the UI is just one of them. If I were in your situation and determined to
continue with Visual Studio, I'd forget validation at install time. I'd ask
for the the serial the first time the user runs the app.
--
Phil Wilson
[Microsoft MVP-Windows Installer]