microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.setup

Problem installing windows service after upgrading to .NET 2.0

Colmeister

7/12/2006 9:01:00 AM

Hopefully I'm posting this in the correct forum!

I have a solution containing a Windows Service project and a Setup project.
This was originally written in Visual Studio .NET 2003 (.NET 1.1 - VB.NET)
and the installer worked correctly except that I had to manually start the
service after installation, I could live with this. After upgrading the
solution to .NET 2.0 in Visual Studio 2005 when I now run the MSI it appears
to install correctly and even appears in Add/Remove Programs but my service
doesn't appear in the Services list, therefore I'm unable to start it.

Has anyone else encountered this problem or have any ideas how to resolve it?

Thanks in advance,

Colin
3 Answers

Colmeister

Ooops, please ignore me. I had to re-add the primary output of my service to
the installer as it was giving me errors and I forgot to re-add the necessary
custom actions.

I'll check more carefully before I post next time!

Colin

luy

I have the same problem, but I don't know what custom actions
should be made. Could you help me?

luy

Colmeister wrote:
> Ooops, please ignore me. I had to re-add the primary output of my service to
> the installer as it was giving me errors and I forgot to re-add the necessary
> custom actions.
>
> I'll check more carefully before I post next time!
>
> Colin

Colmeister

This article from the MS Knowledgebase takes you through the steps required:

http://support.microsoft.com/?k...

Hope that helps.

Colin