microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.setup

Unable to install .NET Framework 2.0

Derek Parnell

7/6/2006 7:31:00 AM

The first thing the installation process tells me is that I must uninstall
2.0 Beta framework. Ok, that's fine. But how?

The Beta is not in the Add/Remove program list, there are no Beta files (or
any .NET files) on my disk, there is no mention of anything in the
registry, ... so just how does one go an uninstall it then? (Yes it was
installed many months ago but it isn't there anymore).

What *exactly* is the installation process checking to see if the Beta is
installed or not?

--
Derek
(skype: derek.j.parnell)

Derek Parnell

On Thu, 6 Jul 2006 17:31:19 +1000, Derek Parnell wrote:

> The first thing the installation process tells me is that I must uninstall
> 2.0 Beta framework. Ok, that's fine. But how?
>
> The Beta is not in the Add/Remove program list, there are no Beta files (or
> any .NET files) on my disk, there is no mention of anything in the
> registry, ... so just how does one go an uninstall it then? (Yes it was
> installed many months ago but it isn't there anymore).
>
> What *exactly* is the installation process checking to see if the Beta is
> installed or not?

I guess I'll never be able to install the framework on this machine. But I
can't see myself doing a full, clean Windows re-install just to have the
framework.

--
Derek
(skype: derek.j.parnell)

Brendan G

Given that it was the Beta 2.0 of the framework, a clean install may be the
only option (as was stated in the doco with the beta).

I do recall that there was a tool that some MS employee wrote and released
that would attempt to remove all the beta bits of VS2005 and SQL Server 2005
(doing an msiexec with the GUID of the app?), so a search on the web should
come up with something.