microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.setup

Error 2769 from VS2003 Web deployment projects

coach24

6/16/2006 1:18:00 PM

When I go to install a web setup/deployment project either through the
vs2003 IDE or using the msi file on my machine or any machine, I get
the following error immediately before clicking any buttons:

The installer was interrupted before [project] could be installed. You
need to restart the installer to try again.

Please note the following:

I *can* run deployment projects for windows forms in VS2003 and I *can*
run deployment projects for windows forms and web apps in VS2005

This problem occurrs regardless of the machine I try to deploy to.

I have reinstalled vs2003 (did not help)

This is a recent problem - I have had VS2005 and VS2003 on the same
machine for months with no trouble.

I did recently install Web Deployment Projects for VS2005. I thought
that might be the problem so I uninstalled that and reinstalled VS2003.
Again no help.

Here is the error from the msi log file:
DEBUG: Error 2769: Custom Action WEBCA_EvaluateURLsNoFail did not close
1 MSIHANDLEs.

I have read a few posts regarding the above error and they all talk
about the Virtual Directory being the problem. Well this particular
web setup project used to work and I have never changed the virtual
directory.

The version of msi.dll is 3.1.4000.2435

1 Answer

coach24

SOLVED:
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/forumarchives/vsnetsetup/Jan2006/post25....
Basically the file "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET
2003\Common7\Tools\Deployment\dpca.dll" had somehow been upgraded from
version 7.10.3077.0 to 7.10.3077.1. The author of the above referenced
link spoke only of modification dates - the file size and creation
dates were identical, but the modification dates were different. Anyway
I grabbed the 7.10.3077.0 version from my laptop and replaced it on my
main machine and that solved the problem. I only hope this thread will
help someone else out in the future.

Bob

PS Kinda miffed that the Visual Studio "repair" option didn't replace
that dll for me.