microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.setup

Checkbox on Finished UI dialog for launching app

Mayur

I need to put a checkbox on the 'Finished' UI dialog asking the user whether
he/she wants to launch the application on the completion of installation. The
'Finished' dialog does not appear to provide any property using which I could
achieve this. Please let me know if this is possible and if so, then how?

Thanks in advance,
Mayur
3 Answers

Phil Wilson

See the "VS 2003 auto launch app...." thread just before yours in this
group, or the thread of the same name 6/13/2006 in
microsoft.public.vsnet.setup.
--
Phil Wilson
[Microsoft MVP-Windows Installer]

"Mayur" <Mayur@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I need to put a checkbox on the 'Finished' UI dialog asking the user
> whether
> he/she wants to launch the application on the completion of installation.
> The
> 'Finished' dialog does not appear to provide any property using which I
> could
> achieve this. Please let me know if this is possible and if so, then how?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Mayur

Mayur

Hi Phil,

Thanks for your reply.

I have gone through the thread you have mentioned, but it does not talk
about how to put a checkbox on the Finished dialog. Also the commit custom
action gets launched even before the Finished dialog has been shown to the
user.

As of now, to solve this problem, I am using orca to edit the created msi.
Using orca, I have added a checkbox to the Finished dialog and set up a
custom action to be launched in case the user clicks the checkbox.

I have just been wondering why this kind of a support is not provided in
Visual Studio. Or am I missing something?

Thanks,
Mayur

"Phil Wilson" wrote:

> See the "VS 2003 auto launch app...." thread just before yours in this
> group, or the thread of the same name 6/13/2006 in
> microsoft.public.vsnet.setup.
> --
> Phil Wilson
> [Microsoft MVP-Windows Installer]
> Definitive Guide to Windows Installer
> http://apress.com/book/bookDisplay.ht...
>
> "Mayur" <Mayur@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I need to put a checkbox on the 'Finished' UI dialog asking the user
> > whether
> > he/she wants to launch the application on the completion of installation.
> > The
> > 'Finished' dialog does not appear to provide any property using which I
> > could
> > achieve this. Please let me know if this is possible and if so, then how?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Mayur

Phil Wilson

I'm not sure why people expect Visual Studio setups to have the same
functionality as the products from InstallShield , Wise, Wix, etc do. There
are literally hundreds of features of Windows Installer that VS setups don't
provide, so if you go to Visual Studio setups and expect to see all that
stuff you're going to be disappointed. The short answer is that this is one
of the things you can't do with a VS setup, so yes, post-process the MSI
file or use another MSI tool.
--
Phil Wilson [MVP Windows Installer]
----