microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.setup

Remove Previous Version doesn't work

pmilin

5/18/2006 9:42:00 PM

I am having an issue using VS 2005 and windows installer 3.1. I
have a windows app that I am trying to deploy with a setup project in
VS 2005. As a test I created another version of the product to see if
the uninstall worked but it don't seem to. Here is what I have done.

Created a setup project added files, registry settings, etc.
Created a bootstrap setup.exe for the 2.0 framework and MDAC 2.8
Set the Version property to 1.0.23 and answered yes to the prompt to
change the prodcut code.
Set RemovePreviousVersions to True.
Set the InstallAllUsers property to True.
Built the project and ran the install from the debug folder.
So far everything is fine.

I made a change to my program and recompiled.
I changed the Version property on my setup project to 1.1.24 and
answered yes to the prompt to change the prodcut code.
Built the project and ran the install from the debug folder.

The installer doesn't seem to uninstall before installing (not sure if
I would see it uninstalling or not), however, the change I made to the
program seems to have gotten installed.
When I look in Add Remove Programs, I have two entries for my program.
One for each version.
I selected the older version and chose uninstall. The uninstall ran
and my program remained on the PC (what I would expect).

So it seems like the previous version got uninstalled but it still
shows up in ARP. Its hard to tell if the previous version really got
uninstalled or just overwritten since the set of files/locations didn't

change between the two versions. Only one file's contents changed.

Any ideas would be appreciated. I have read through dozens of posts
and MSDN articles and so far nothing has worked for me.

NOTE: Before I tried the scenario that I described above, I was using a

version number less than 1.0.0 and was fiddling with the UpgradeCode.
I have now learned how everything should work but maybe something else
is messed up. Could it be that I just need to create a new setup
project and start over?

1 Answer

Phil Wilson

The UpgradeCode has to be identical in both versions, yes. It's possible
that you've just got that system honked up - that's not unusual if you do a
lot of testing with setups that are related with product codes. Ta/king a
log might help:

msiexec /i <new msi file> /l*v <path to a text log file>

and check all occurrences of FindRelatedProducts to see if it detected the
older version.

--
Phil Wilson
[Microsoft MVP-Windows Installer]