microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.setup

Create Shortcut for Deployment

MSDN Newsgroups

4/27/2006 8:31:00 PM

I'm creating a windows app using VS 2005 in Visual Basic.I've created a
deployment package that does everything right but creating a working
shortcut in the Users Program Directory.

The package creates a shortcut that opens the Program Directory but does not
execute the program. When creating the shortcut, the properities box field
asks for the Target. The prompt says it wants the executable. The only
option is the drop down that selects a directory. Putting an entry for the
executable in the command line only results in a shortcut that opens the
Program directory with the executable on the line after the quotes for the
Program directory.

How can I create a simple shortcut in the User Program's Menu?

3 Answers

Phil Wilson

I don't recall that sequence you're describing, but I create shortcuts by
selecting the exe in the (say) Application Folder and using right-click to
create a shortcut. That can then be dragged to a subfolder you create off
the User's Program's menu.
--
Phil Wilson [MVP Windows Installer]
----
"MSDN Newsgroups" <max@tylr.com> wrote in message
> I'm creating a windows app using VS 2005 in Visual Basic.I've created a
> deployment package that does everything right but creating a working
> shortcut in the Users Program Directory.
>
> The package creates a shortcut that opens the Program Directory but does
> not execute the program. When creating the shortcut, the properities box
> field asks for the Target. The prompt says it wants the executable. The
> only option is the drop down that selects a directory. Putting an entry
> for the executable in the command line only results in a shortcut that
> opens the Program directory with the executable on the line after the
> quotes for the Program directory.
>
> How can I create a simple shortcut in the User Program's Menu?

MSDN Newsgroups

That's exactly right. Thanks for the tip. The executable doesn't show in
the Application folder directly just "primary output". I found it baffling.
It works now.

Max

"Phil Wilson" <Phil.Wilson@unisys.spamcom> wrote in message
>I don't recall that sequence you're describing, but I create shortcuts by
>selecting the exe in the (say) Application Folder and using right-click to
>create a shortcut. That can then be dragged to a subfolder you create off
>the User's Program's menu.
> --
> Phil Wilson [MVP Windows Installer]
> ----
> "MSDN Newsgroups" <max@tylr.com> wrote in message
>> I'm creating a windows app using VS 2005 in Visual Basic.I've created a
>> deployment package that does everything right but creating a working
>> shortcut in the Users Program Directory.
>>
>> The package creates a shortcut that opens the Program Directory but does
>> not execute the program. When creating the shortcut, the properities box
>> field asks for the Target. The prompt says it wants the executable. The
>> only option is the drop down that selects a directory. Putting an entry
>> for the executable in the command line only results in a shortcut that
>> opens the Program directory with the executable on the line after the
>> quotes for the Program directory.
>>
>> How can I create a simple shortcut in the User Program's Menu?

Phil Wilson

I usually don't bother with primary output - I like to see what's reall
going on!
--
Phil Wilson
[Microsoft MVP-Windows Installer]