microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.setup

Can setup project output just msi without setup.exe?

Leonid Raiz

4/23/2006 2:10:00 AM

I created a setup project in VS2005. When build it outputs product.msi and
setup.exe
Is it possible to force everything to be in just msi file? Is creation of
setup.exe caused by listing of Framework 2.0 as a prerequisite?

Thanks.

2 Answers

Phil Wilson

If you select the setup project in solution explorer, right-click it and
choose Properties, then click the Preferences button, the reason it creates
a setup exe is most likely because the check box "Create setup program
.........." is checked.
--
Phil Wilson
[Microsoft MVP-Windows Installer]

"Leonid Raiz" <nospam@address.withheld> wrote in message
>I created a setup project in VS2005. When build it outputs product.msi and
>setup.exe
> Is it possible to force everything to be in just msi file? Is creation of
> setup.exe caused by listing of Framework 2.0 as a prerequisite?
>
> Thanks.

Leonid Raiz

Aha. Actually the button is called Prerequisites not Preferences and as I
suspected trying to be nice and making sure that users have required FW 2.0
installed leads to creation of two files product.msi and setup.exe. Thus is
unfortunate because an application would be downloaded and I wanted to make
it a single file so users are not confused. I don't really care if resulting
file is and msi or exe as long as it is a single file that contains
everything.