microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.setup

SupportedRuntimes property

Marcus

4/3/2006 6:40:00 AM

Is it possible to put an wildcard in the SupportedRuntime property to
support all current and future releases of the CLR?

Or is it atleast possible to put like 1;2 in it to support all
subversions of version 1 and version 2?

thanks

5 Answers

Marcus

I should clearify that my questions regard the visual studio setup
project that I am using for creating install files for my application.

Phil Wilson

In a VS 2005 Setup project, the Properties for the .NET Framework Launch
Condition has a property AllowLater that looks like it might provide what
you're looking for.
--
Phil Wilson [MVP Windows Installer]
----

Phil Wilson wrote:

> In a VS 2005 Setup project, the Properties for the .NET Framework Launch
> Condition has a property AllowLater that looks like it might provide what
> you're looking for.
> --
> Phil Wilson [MVP Windows Installer]

I only got VS 2003 unfortunately.
But what about the versions thats out there today. How many are they
and what version numbers do they have?
As of today I cover the following versions: 1.1.4322 and 2.0.50727. I
want my application to work on every CLR that people are using today
however. How will I know which ones they are?

thanks

Phil Wilson

Well you won't, unfortunately, and neither will Microsoft. The AllowLater
feature is in the code that checks for the framework version, so it's not
really something you can use. You'd have to do something like write your own
launcher that checks framework versions and then launches your MSI.
http://www.codeproject.com/dotnet/dotNetIns...
--
> Phil Wilson wrote:
>
>> In a VS 2005 Setup project, the Properties for the .NET Framework Launch
>> Condition has a property AllowLater that looks like it might provide what
>> you're looking for.
>> --
>> Phil Wilson [MVP Windows Installer]
>
> I only got VS 2003 unfortunately.
> But what about the versions thats out there today. How many are they
> and what version numbers do they have?
> As of today I cover the following versions: 1.1.4322 and 2.0.50727. I
> want my application to work on every CLR that people are using today
> however. How will I know which ones they are?
>
> thanks

Marcus

Phil Wilson wrote:

> Well you won't, unfortunately, and neither will Microsoft. The AllowLater
> feature is in the code that checks for the framework version, so it's not
> really something you can use. You'd have to do something like write your own
> launcher that checks framework versions and then launches your MSI.

OK I will try that approach. Thank you!