microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.setup

Custom Action and silent rollback

Oleg

3/30/2006 3:42:00 PM

If in Custom Action I throw an exception in order to force installer to
rollback
dialog box appears telling about error occurred.
Can I make installer not to show me that error and rollback silently?

(I'm using VS 2003 to create setup project)

4 Answers

Phil Wilson

Not that I know of. Why would you do that? Just abort an install with no
message of explanation to the user?
--
Phil Wilson
[Microsoft MVP-Windows Installer]

"Oleg" <Oleg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> If in Custom Action I throw an exception in order to force installer to
> rollback
> dialog box appears telling about error occurred.
> Can I make installer not to show me that error and rollback silently?
>

> (I'm using VS 2003 to create setup project)

Oleg

in case of password authentication fails the rollback will clean just
installed files without a break. So leaving no opportunity for pause and
getting(copying) the installed files meanwhile.

"Phil Wilson" wrote:

> Not that I know of. Why would you do that? Just abort an install with no
> message of explanation to the user?
> --
> Phil Wilson
> [Microsoft MVP-Windows Installer]
> Definitive Guide to Windows Installer
> http://apress.com/book/bookDisplay.ht...
>
> "Oleg" <Oleg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > If in Custom Action I throw an exception in order to force installer to
> > rollback
> > dialog box appears telling about error occurred.
> > Can I make installer not to show me that error and rollback silently?
> >

> > (I'm using VS 2003 to create setup project)

Phil Wilson

It sounds to me that you've run into a consequence of the way Visual Studio
setups work, perhaps entering data in a UI dialog that you can't verify
because Visual Studio custom actions don't run until all the files are
installed and in a situation that requires a rollback. If that's true, it's
a shame because other tools that generate MSI files let you tie a custom
action to the Next button click and the UI would not progress until the user
credentials were valid.
--
Phil Wilson [MVP Windows Installer]
----
> in case of password authentication fails the rollback will clean just
> installed files without a break. So leaving no opportunity for pause and
> getting(copying) the installed files meanwhile.
>
> "Phil Wilson" wrote:
>
>> Not that I know of. Why would you do that? Just abort an install with no
>> message of explanation to the user?
>> --
>> Phil Wilson
>> [Microsoft MVP-Windows Installer]
>> Definitive Guide to Windows Installer
>> http://apress.com/book/bookDisplay.ht...
>>
>> "Oleg" <Oleg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > If in Custom Action I throw an exception in order to force installer to
>> > rollback
>> > dialog box appears telling about error occurred.
>> > Can I make installer not to show me that error and rollback silently?
>> >

>> > (I'm using VS 2003 to create setup project)

Oleg

Yes, it is a shame.
Would be nice if there would be an option to have a custom action on Before
File Copy.
Thank you though for a feedback.
I'm almost done with c++ dll solution. Will see tomorrow.