microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.setup

File installation based on ALL_USERS install

vikrantca

3/18/2006 5:26:00 AM

Hello,
I have a setup project in which I want to copy some settings files in the
User Profile\Local App Data\Company Name\Version folder.
The application is installed by logging on as an administrator. So the first
time I install the application - the settings file is copied to respective
folder mentioned above. What I want is if any other user logs onto this
machine - the same settings file is to be created for that user in his/her
appropriate folder as above. What is the best way to achieve this ?
Thank you in advance.
vikrantca
7 Answers

Phil Wilson

See if it works if you install the file to an appropriate subfolder of the
AppDataFolder (User's Application Data Folder in VS File System view, Add
Special Folder). When you log on under another user, that file will be
missing and a repair will kick in to install it there. The repair won't
usually just happen - you'll need (for example) a shortcut to be used,
because that's one of the things that causes the health check & repair to
kick in.
--
Phil Wilson
[Microsoft MVP-Windows Installer]

"vikrantca" <vikrantca@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
> I have a setup project in which I want to copy some settings files in the
> User Profile\Local App Data\Company Name\Version folder.
> The application is installed by logging on as an administrator. So the
> first
> time I install the application - the settings file is copied to respective
> folder mentioned above. What I want is if any other user logs onto this
> machine - the same settings file is to be created for that user in his/her
> appropriate folder as above. What is the best way to achieve this ?
> Thank you in advance.
> vikrantca

vikrantca

Thank you for the response.
This works for the application data files. Now the problem is with the
Shortcut.
I place the shortcut on the users Desktop in the VS setup project. But when
another user tried to start the app for the first time, I get a Fatal error -
problem with shortcut. Is there a way to fix this ? Or, where I can I look
into for more details on the error message.

thanks again.
vikrantca

"Phil Wilson" wrote:

> See if it works if you install the file to an appropriate subfolder of the
> AppDataFolder (User's Application Data Folder in VS File System view, Add
> Special Folder). When you log on under another user, that file will be
> missing and a repair will kick in to install it there. The repair won't
> usually just happen - you'll need (for example) a shortcut to be used,
> because that's one of the things that causes the health check & repair to
> kick in.
> --
> Phil Wilson
> [Microsoft MVP-Windows Installer]
> Definitive Guide to Windows Installer
> http://apress.com/book/bookDisplay.ht...
>
> "vikrantca" <vikrantca@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> > I have a setup project in which I want to copy some settings files in the
> > User Profile\Local App Data\Company Name\Version folder.
> > The application is installed by logging on as an administrator. So the
> > first
> > time I install the application - the settings file is copied to respective
> > folder mentioned above. What I want is if any other user logs onto this
> > machine - the same settings file is to be created for that user in his/her
> > appropriate folder as above. What is the best way to achieve this ?
> > Thank you in advance.
> > vikrantca

Phil Wilson

What was the error message? Any details?
--
Phil Wilson [MVP Windows Installer]
----
> Thank you for the response.
> This works for the application data files. Now the problem is with the
> Shortcut.
> I place the shortcut on the users Desktop in the VS setup project. But
> when
> another user tried to start the app for the first time, I get a Fatal
> error -
> problem with shortcut. Is there a way to fix this ? Or, where I can I look
> into for more details on the error message.
>
> thanks again.
> vikrantca
>

> "Phil Wilson" wrote:
>
>> See if it works if you install the file to an appropriate subfolder of
>> the
>> AppDataFolder (User's Application Data Folder in VS File System view, Add
>> Special Folder). When you log on under another user, that file will be
>> missing and a repair will kick in to install it there. The repair won't
>> usually just happen - you'll need (for example) a shortcut to be used,
>> because that's one of the things that causes the health check & repair to
>> kick in.
>> --
>> Phil Wilson
>> [Microsoft MVP-Windows Installer]
>> Definitive Guide to Windows Installer
>> http://apress.com/book/bookDisplay.ht...
>>
>> "vikrantca" <vikrantca@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hello,
>> > I have a setup project in which I want to copy some settings files in
>> > the
>> > User Profile\Local App Data\Company Name\Version folder.
>> > The application is installed by logging on as an administrator. So the
>> > first
>> > time I install the application - the settings file is copied to
>> > respective
>> > folder mentioned above. What I want is if any other user logs onto this
>> > machine - the same settings file is to be created for that user in
>> > his/her
>> > appropriate folder as above. What is the best way to achieve this ?
>> > Thank you in advance.
>> > vikrantca

vikrantca

The error message : Fatal Error - Problem with Shortcut.

Thats it.

I tried a couple of things - I had a launch condition for MDAC. It turns
out, everytime a new user logged on and tried to use the application, the
installer tried to install MDAC - hence the failure. I removed the MDAC from
the setup and now everything works fine.

Thank you for your help.

Regards,

Bevchcgo@gmail.com

On Jun 4, 10:25 pm, "Zeke" <yakzoom...@doopayash.com> wrote:
> <Bevch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > And I gave her $250.
>
> Did ya get the Reno?
>
> ===================================
> Q: What's the difference between Vietnam & Iraq?
> A: Bush & Cheney knew how to get out of Vietnam.

No dice Hombre. :-)

Bev

PatsSox

On Jun 4, 6:47 pm, "Stayfree" <stayf...@hayfree.com> wrote:
> "Sal Video" <svi...@access.com> wrote in message

> > No one gives a shit
>
> Oh, you're wrong.  The bulldykes over on hillaryis44.com are going apeshit
> over this!

Read E Street Joe's post about that site. Those 'bulldykes' as
you put it could possibly be a bunch of fat, bald, white Republican
men trying to stir the shit.

Joe

On Jun 5, 7:17 am, PatsSox <spiritnn...@gmail.com> wrote:
>     Read E Street Joe's post about that site.    Those 'bulldykes' as
> you put it could possibly be a bunch of  fat, bald, white Republican
> men trying to stir the shit.

Curses!!

Foiled again!

Time to put away the bulldyke costume....